Safety in the Good Old Days

Frank Townend

shopsmith-multi-use.jpg

I especially like the idea of turning a small child loose with a paint sprayer two feet away from the family car. :rofl:

thats exactly what I was thinking when I looked at this picture.

I just will never forget when my son was little, he decided instead of building the snowman, he was going to scrape the snow off daddys car using his snow shovel, and scrape all the snow off the hood of the car he did.
And most of the finish and paint also.

What's wrong with this picture?

1) Free-handing the crosscut.
2) No blade guard or riving knife.
3) The boy's feet is tangled in cords.
4) The girl isn’t wearing a respirator.
5) Nobody is wearing safety goggles.
6) Dad and son are wearing long sleeves around machinery.
7) The table saw blade is too high.
8) Mom is not using the handle on the buffer.
9) No guards on the ice-cream maker pulley.

Yeah, but they're all dressed nicely. :p

I wonder how many women here (or men, for that matter) have ever buffed a car while wearing a dress. :D

Dan,

It's an American made FORD, for sure. (most likely doesn't look "Detriot" because it probably was designed in Dearborn)

Looks like either a '49 or a '50, (I could tell for sure if I saw the parking lights), and it's a "coupe" (not an ordinary 2door). You can see the wide filler panel between the rear glass and the trunk lid. These had a rather small quarter side glass compared to the longer roof 2door sedans.

And, dig those neat "Exterior" hinges.

Aloha, Tony

Dan,

It's an American made FORD, for sure. (most likely doesn't look "Detriot" because it probably was designed in Dearborn)

Looks like either a '49 or a '50, (I could tell for sure if I saw the parking lights), and it's a "coupe" (not an ordinary 2door). You can see the wide filler panel between the rear glass and the trunk lid. These had a rather small quarter side glass compared to the longer roof 2door sedans.

And, dig those neat "Exterior" hinges.

Aloha, Tony

We had a 50 model 4 door, and it seems like our trunk latch ornament was different, (just can't remember for sure. This one has the ONE backup light on the left side that ours didn't have. I could tell for sure IF I could see the front grille, as they were different from the 49 to the 50. Seems like those were the first ones they called "Club Coupes".

yuos to old

first of all does a kilt count as a skirt? if so then i buffed out a scratch on SIL car one the rehersal day... and as fpor the old car well you guys are to lold if you know that many details about a old relic:) but one thing is for sure they got a great tool in the shopsmith there... and what great way to spend quality family time:):rofl:

Is that all? :rofl:
This is clearly an amateurishly staged advertisement for ShopSmith.

Vaughn said, "I wonder how many women here (or men, for that matter) have ever buffed a car while wearing a dress."

For the younger folks here....fact is, there was a day, not completely gone, when women always wore dresses and did all kinds of work in them. On that note, the photo would be accurate for the times.
Things started changing during WWII when the Rosie the Riveters started working on factories producing airplanes, tanks and other vehicles for the war.

You are revealing yourself to be a kid.
I immediately recognized it as a post WWII Ford, about '48 or '49.
Close. I think it might be a 50, but I think you're closer with the 1949 guess.
Here's the 50 ford - the one in the ad has no emblem and a slightly different license trim.
1950-ford2.jpg

In my defense at 45 I don't think I am a kid. When I went to school it wasn't on a horse or dinosaur :D Ford deficient yes, I am a Buick man. When my garage is done I am sliding a 1955 Buick Roadmaster in the bay. I've had a 430 motor, trans and rear end for years but never the space.

What had me wondering were the lights and exterior trunk hinges. Struck as being more 1950's Peugeot... but wadda I know?

Cheers.