Going Big

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I got a chance last night to try turning some of my recent elm haul, and I figured some of you guys might like to see some pics of the journey.

Of the two biggest blanks I got out of that wood, one had some cracks already started, so I figured I'd turn it now instead of trying to seal it and hoping the cracking would stop. The blank was about 24" to 25" across at the widest. I had to get LOML's help to mount it on the lathe. I could lift it into place (barely), but I needed her to turn the handwheel to get the faceplate threaded onto the spindle. I'm guessing the blank was in the neighborhood of 90 to 100 pounds. Definitely the biggest diameter and heaviest piece I've turned yet.

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 01 800.jpg

Here's a shot showing where I had the remote switch while roughing. (The shop's a mess since I had to rearrange things to turn at the end of the lathe.)

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 02 800.jpg

Getting started, using my Monster Oland-style tool and a 1/4" cobalt bit. The 24" handle is filled with lead shot, so it's pretty hefty.

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 03 800.jpg

Getting more round...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 04 800.jpg

Starting to look like a bowl. By now, I had switched to the Ci1...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 05 800.jpg

After turning the blank around and facing it a bit, it was clear that cracking might be an issue...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 06 800.jpg

Popped a core out of the blank, but lost a chunk of the edge along the way. (That spot was real punky, and probably would have needed to be turned away anyway.)

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 07 800.jpg

More in the next post...

Inside of the big bowl, shaping up...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 08 800.jpg

Here's another look at the missing chunk. You can see the punky area that's going to be turned away...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 09 800.jpg

Here's the outside of the "small" core after a bit of cleanup. I turned this one over the regular bed, just since there's a bit less vibration when I'm not using the tool rest extension...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 10 800.jpg

The smaller bowl will be relatively shallow...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 11 800.jpg

And the cracks are back to haunt me...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 12 800.jpg

But it survived so far. I'll be trying to fill the crack with epoxy and some type of filler material once the wood dries.

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 13 800.jpg

And the nights' work...

Elm Crotch 1 Progress - 14 800.jpg

Both bowls are sitting an a trash bag with wet shavings for now, but later today I'm going to try to rig up a DNA soak for them. Before I do that, I'm going to remount the big one and turn down the notch in the rim.

I hope you enjoyed the ride... :wave:

Bernie, this particular elm isn't stinky at all. Don't know if it's this particular species, or if it's just from good clean California livin', but it really has no odor. :p

I'd love to have a hoist of some sort, but I'm not sure if the roof joists could take the weight, and I don't have the space for something like an engine hoist. Pus, I don't plan on doing a lot of big stuff like this. I am being careful when lifting, though.

Great project. And, you have the right tools for the job.
I can see why those cracks "haunt" you, hope you can finish without any flying missles.
And, who was it that said no more artistic jobs, just small projects? ;)

Vaughn, Can't wait to see them finished. FYI, (you probably have already seen one) but I did see a folding engine hoist at HF. Folded footprint was about 18" x30" if I remember correctly. It was not too expensive, at least on sale.

Ken

Vaughn, I'm yellow with envy. I see that the big mustard seems to do a good job. I have lots of big blanks sitting around with no practical way too turn them. I figure on maybe selling some small bowls off of the Grizzly machine to finance a bigger machine but have been too busy to get it done.:( Man, that looks like fun!

...And, who was it that said no more artistic jobs, just small projects? ;)
That was just while I was getting ready for the last show. :p That said, this week will primarily be more of the small stuff in preparation for another show this weekend. I just couldn't resist trying one of my big blanks, though. (Plus, I saved a bunch of Anchor Seal by not having to coat this blank, ;)

...FYI, (you probably have already seen one) but I did see a folding engine hoist at HF. Folded footprint was about 18" x30" if I remember correctly. It was not too expensive, at least on sale.

Ken

I've seen those, but I'd honestly be pinched for space to fit one, even folded up. And in use, I'm not sure I have enough open floor space to maneuver it around the lathe. :eek:

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm pretty sure the crack won't be a problem. (Where's the "crossed fingers" smiley?)

I'd love to have a hoist of some sort, but I'm not sure if the roof joists could take the weight,

Vaughn,

I'm fairly certain those joists will hold way more than your back will... ;)

I looked on the harbor freight site, and found a good variety of ceiling mountable winches and hoists for under 100 clams. I know money's tight right now, so they also have this:

45076.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45076

four american dollars and ninety-nine cents. I know you're laughing right now, and maybe you should be, but that's how I got my dust collecter (and a number of other heavy things) up into the attic of my ga... er, shop. :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

Looks like a very handy lifter.
A word of caution: if you do decide to use one, do not try to hang from ordinary eye screws. Those are pretty soft steel and cannot support much weight. DAMHIK :eek:
BTW, I went to a couple local stores looking for a block and tackle. None of the guys working in the stores knew what I was talking about. :doh: