Birth of a shop - The Final Trimester

Marty,

I no longer feel like I've read 3/4 of a great book and did not get to finish it, please post you progress daily. The shop progress looks great, is it just me or does the shop not look as large once the sidding was installed.

Ken

Ken,

Sorry for making you all go through withdrawals. Although, not having to post daily updates did give me a few spare cycles to help get this new forum off the ground...;)

I'll be back to my daily feeds now. But don't expect to see great progess daily, since hanging those 16' Cypress boards takes a lot ouf of me! :eek:

Thanks for joining...
- Marty -

I want daily updates please. I just heard from the boss, I might have another day off (GA bound day) next weekend. That is if the snow don't fly and the river don't rise. IT is looking great and I am glad to see the thread being shared again as well as glad for the kindness you and Denise extend when I come down to play.

Marty...
What can I say...it's nice to see the saga continue.

Now...Olympic stain...around here...near the ocean...it's mostly used to make the end results...well...nicer?...equal?...eventually...not immediately. But it seems the team of two got it down and man that's goin' be one SWEET place to work.

Disapearing Piers

All along, I wasn't thrilled with the look of the piers sticking their ugly little selves out from under the shop. I love what they've allowed me to accomplish with my wooden floor, but they're...unsightly. I needed a way to make them disappear...and with a little creative input from tod, I have a way to "houdini" them. I built a set of roofs for them...
What a great idea! :) :) :) Thanks so much Marty and Tod. I am definately going to borrow it for the piers and my Sauna/Guest building at Pellow's camp. As you can see, my piers are just as ugly as yours used to be:

Sauna building taken from north east -small.JPG

Getting ideas like this is one of the main reasons that I love woodworking forums. :)

I want daily updates please. I just heard from the boss, I might have another day off (GA bound day) next weekend. That is if the snow don't fly and the river don't rise. IT is looking great and I am glad to see the thread being shared again as well as glad for the kindness you and Denise extend when I come down to play.

Joe,

You KNOW I can use any assistance you care to give me. Give me a call when you know for sure, so I can make sure that the days events are properly orchestrated. ;)

- Marty -

What a great idea! :) :) :) Thanks so much Marty and Tod. I am definately going to borrow it for the piers and my Sauna/Guest building at Pellow's camp. As you can see, my piers are just as ugly as yours used to be:

View attachment 265

Getting ideas like this is one of the main reasons that I love woodworking forums. :)

Frank,

I REALLY like the way mine came out. Let me know if you need better close-ups or anything. I even have a few shortcuts for making the roof members if you need/want them.

And thanks again tod for the idea! ;)

- Marty -

Board and Batten or Just Boards

I thought you we going to use board and batten siding, but all I see is boards and those boards are placed more closely together than I would have expected if you plan to apply battens as well.

Are the battens comming later, or is that it?

West Gable Wall Siding continued...

As I mentioned, today I was going to pick up where I left off getting those LONGGGG Cypress boards up on the west gable wall. I was just past the office window yesterday when I quit. Today I made it to the bathroom window:

DSCN5148.jpg

Those long boards are sure giving me a run for my money alone. It took me almost FORTY FIVE MINUTES to get one 14' board in place and nailed. It had to be set about 8' off the ground, which meant I was on a ladder...:( And once I got it in place, I had to let go with one hand to get the framing nailer to nail it in place. Well, Murphy spent a large part of the day with me today. That 14' board got dropped not once, but twice, from 8' up a ladder. And once, Murphy thought it would be funny to see what would happen if the board hit me in the head on the way down. I wasn't laughing! :mad: :(

I finally got it in place and nailed on the third attempt, and was able to keep moving along.

I did have a little bit of help today. I did all the nailing I could from the low end of the ladder, and when I had a few boards in place, I called my up-high helper to come nail in the tops:

DSCN5146.jpg

That's Denise shooting nails in the upper parts of the boards I got in place. Am I lucky or what? :D ;)

In addition to the pure logistics of hoisting those long boards up, holding on one-handed while I shoot nails into them to keep them from falling, here's another problem I keep facing:

DSCN5149.jpg

I'm doing everything I can to get every joint along the windows PERFECT. I'm not talking close, I'm talking perfect. I'm probably wasting a lot of time I don't need to, since this is after all WOOD, and it WILL be moving as it settles in place.

As tod would tell me, IT'S CONSTRUCTION, STOP IT!

I'm trying...but the perfectionist in me has a hard time being satisfied with less... :eek:

Oh, and in case you think all I got done was half a dozen more boards up on the wall, here's a few shots to show you otherwise...

DSCN5139.jpg DSCN5140.jpg

That's the next dozen 14' and 16' boards lined up on my 16' sawhorses ready for stain. As I explained, I stain the backs with the semi-transparent oil based stuff that I wanted to spray but that doesn't cover well, and then apply the solid color acrylic to the fronts.

Here's what one heavy coat of the semi-transparent oil-based looks like after being ROLLED on:

DSCN5141.jpg DSCN5142.jpg

As you can see, it's pretty bad. All the blemishes show right through. I thought you'd be able to see the graders marks, but they didn't come out in the pictures. But you can sure see the saw burns and forklift marks clearly. For reference, that's better than what two sprayed on coats looked like! :eek:

For comparison, here's half the boards done on the back with semi-transparent, and half of them after I flipped them and rolled on one coat of solid color:

DSCN5143.jpg

And here's all the boards with one coat of rolled solid color:

DSCN5144.jpg

Quite a difference! You can't see any of the blemishes once the solid stuff is on there. And the color is consistant across the boards...another thing the semi-transparent stuff wouldn't accomplish!

(I'm going to have to get creative to be able to use that one board, huh? Looks like it's trying to volunteer to be part of a boat bottom! :confused: )

In that last picture, you can see an empty 5-gallon bucket of stain. That's the third 5 gallon pail. At the rate we're going, I'm thinking we should be able to get the job finished with a total of 20 gallons. (We might need one or two more single gallons, we'll see.) Quite a bit better than the 100 gallon we would have needed if we stayed with the semi-transparent stuff! :rolleyes:

Ok, there you have it...my first 'daily' update in a quite some time. As you can tell, I'm back to the level of detail I was at before. Hopefully it's not too much detail! ;)

Tomorrow I'm back on that gable wall. I'm hoping it gets a little easier for the next few boards, since I'll have the bathroom window to rest them on while I'm trying to get them nailed in. We'll see.

Thanks for following...
- Marty -

I thought you we going to use board and batten siding, but all I see is boards and those boards are placed more closely together than I would have expected if you plan to apply battens as well.

Are the battens comming later, or is that it?

Frank,

It's Board AND Batten. The battens will be coming along probably after winter, once all the boards have had a chance to do whatever they plan to do, shrink, etc.

The boards are close, but that's mostly by design. Since so many of them are warped/cupped/twisted, I'm hoping for a lowest common denominator of about a 1.5-2" gap to have to hide. If I get the boards closer on the ones that are magically straight, oh well...;)

Oh, and I plan to make lattice work for under the shop when I'm machining the battens. I just hope I have enough Cypress left over...

- Marty -

Knots?

Are the knots not showing through? A couple of weeks after I stained the first set of boards for my shop, the knots started to show through the stain. I subsequently has to apply shelac then another coat of stain. Later on when I did more boards, I put shelac on the knots before staining the boards. Is your stain such that this is not a problem?

Those long boards are sure giving me a run for my money alone. It took me almost FORTY FIVE MINUTES to get one 14' board in place and nailed. It had to be set about 8' off the ground, which meant I was on a ladder... And once I got it in place, I had to let go with one hand to get the framing nailer to nail it in place. Well, Murphy spent a large part of the day with me today. That 14' board got dropped not once, but twice, from 8' up a ladder. And once, Murphy thought it would be funny to see what would happen if the board hit me in the head on the way down.

- Marty -

Marty,

Could you possible nail a short piece of wood horizontal to rest your vertical piece on while you nail it?

Things are definetly taking shape and looking good.

Regards

Randy

Marty,

Could you possible nail a short piece of wood horizontal to rest your vertical piece on while you nail it?

Things are definetly taking shape and looking good.

Regards

Randy

Randy,

I thought about putting a brace on the wall, but there's a problem with that. I'd have to nail it through the Tyvek...which means I'd have to repair the Tyvek after I removed it.

So, I'd have to nail a short board on the wall, install the Cypress, remove the short board, repair the Tyvek, re-install the short board 10" over for the next board (I'm staggering the joints so the short board would only work for the current board), then repeat the entire process.

I'm not sure I have enough Tyvek tape left to make that many repairs. Not to mention, that's a bit of work and I'd run the risk of missing a tear or something.

Nope, I think I just keep using brute force to hoist the boards...:( :( :(

Thanks anyway...
- Marty -

I will call as soon as the BOSS gives me the unchanging thumbs up. Have a great day and the shop is looking great. Don't finish it before I get downthere again. (Just kidding)

Marty good to see all the progress on the shop. I sure missed it! Everything looks great. I myself like all the updates. Keep up the good work and thanks for the invite to the new forum.

Doug