Starter lathe

Does this look like a decent starter lathe?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/1152704821.html

After seeing some of the beautiful work everyone else is creating here I have to admit, my fear of turning is starting to subside. As an added bonus my son is really wanting to get into turning. As long as it's not trash you can't really beat the price. I just don't know if it's trash or not. Also, it's about an hour and a half drive from my home.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Don't know what kind of lathe that is from the picture, Terry, but unless it's complete junk the chisels alone are probably well worth $75. Sorry I'm not more help. I hope someone will recognize what brand the lathe is. :dunno:

It sure looks like >> THIS << lathe, on E-bay for $99 :dunno:

Definitely a "Spindle" lathe, 4 speeds, 1100, 1600, 2300, 3400 rpm

craigs_list_lathe.jpg
E-bay lathe $99

60106.jpg
Craigs list lathe $75, plus tools

Like I said, if you only want to do spindle work, or work between centers, this would be fine (pens come to mind!)

Cheers!

Could be one of those eBay specials. Either no-name or recently made up name. Tailstock looks real flimsy to me, perhaps a clue to how the rest is built. Looks new, how much can be in it for $75.00.
You asked: Don't touch it.

I was given a pretty much identical lathe a few years ago, and it's not worth the cheap sheet metal it's made from. It has an oddball threaded spindle (with no Morse taper), and it's about as stout as wet spaghetti. I would not recommend it for anything, even pens. I'm sure some folks have done just fine with similar lathes, but life's too short to use junky tools. The chisels might be worth $75, but if they're one of the Harbor Freight sets, that's almost twice what they sell for new.

In short, my recommendation is don't buy it. Keep watching Craigslist and something better will come along. ;)

Starter Lathe

I agree with most of em here,for one the slowest spead is way to fast for me.
If you want to just test the waters,so to speak,you could take a look at some of the mini lathes out there.Ricon,Jet,delta just to name a few.I would stay away from most of those no names as there not even good boat anchor's