dog collar pen.

Chuck Beland

Guys I need some help for the last 11 yrs I have been delivering mail to a house with a dog named Mamacita she's just like my own she could be her twin. She's got a great personality. Well she got sick & had to be put down that really broke my heart. I asked & received one of her old dog collars the material type (like thin yarn) I would like to make a pen for Lucy the owner. The collar is about 1/8" thick I was thinking of cutting it in half but it would unravel.

I have a few questions.

1. If I have this cast in resin do you think it would work to make a pen out of it?

2. should I try to pull it apart & wrap it around a tube & CA it to the tube? I'm worried it would come apart by using it.

3. If the majority thinks I should put it in resin & someone is willing & able to do it for me please give me a estimate on the cost.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

On the penturning forums, making pens from just about any substance is a big craze right now. Everything from feathers to feces has been used. That sort of thing ain't my 'thang'. But, if you peruse The Pen Shop or IAP I'm sure you will find step by step advice on what and how to do it.

I might be able to help you. I'm not sure how nylon would cast in resin and if the poly resin would melt the nylon. At this time I only cast poly though I am going to start using alumilite soon. If it could be cast in poly resin it might be easiest to cast it in a layered fashion and just drill it afterward. i could post on the international pen turners site and see what other opinions are. Some of those collars might be a flattened hollow nylon weaved tube. Another concern wold be pen diameter. I think the nylon is rather thick so you would end up with a heavy/fat pen. This is why I think a layered cast might work best. I might have some material laying about so i can check out reactivity.

It is a noble gesture.

Paul,
Thanks for the advice. I think I may just pick up another collar the same type & cut the buckle off. Then turn 2 small bowls & see what it would look like on the bowl. both with a buckle on & one with it cut off.