16 Segment Sunburst in Curly Bubinga

Here's a table top I did in veneer for clients Penny and Jack. They had this antique tilt top table but the veneer on it was damaged and stained. They wanted to replace the veneer and chose curly bubinga - and they wanted it laid in a sunburst pattern.

Anyway, it was a challenge but I think it came out nice. The finish is lacquer which I rubbed out.

They were pleased with the result.

Mike

Attachments

• Veneer-Table-1.jpg
    Veneer-Table-1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Veneer-Table-2.jpg
    Veneer-Table-2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 128
but I think it came out nice.
Mike

Nice? Only Nice? Mike I think that is a gross understatement on your part. Its totally AWESOME:eek:. You really are a craftsman. Way to go. Would not ask for a tutorial on that its a few years away for me.:D:rofl::rofl: And if those customers are not happy tell them you will send the family round to see them.:D And send the table to me.

Had to go back and have another look, then I thought gee who can actually use a table like that. It seems to perfect to put anything on. I dont think I would let my family near it never mind use it. Really nice work and what great wood veneer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind comments, everyone. Attached is a closeup of the center of the table, with the contrast enhanced somewhat so you can see the figure in the veneer. Note how the elements form circular designs on the table. You only see these designs when you look close - when you just glance at the table, all you see is the burgundy color and the swirl of the veneer.

This picture was taken before I put the lacquer on. The only thing on the veneer is the sanding sealer.

Mike

Attachments

• Veneer-table-closeup.jpg
    Veneer-table-closeup.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 75
Boy Mike, that is sure nice, a guy could look into that pattern all day long!

How thick is the veneer on something like that?

Did you cut the veneer yourself?

Super job! :thumb:

Boy Mike, that is sure nice, a guy could look into that pattern all day long!

How thick is the veneer on something like that?

Did you cut the veneer yourself?

Super job! :thumb:
No, I generally don't cut my own veneer - it's much easier and cheaper to buy it. Standard veneer is 1/42" thick (it would take 42 pieces of veneer to make an inch).

In doing a sunburst, you need a stack of consecutive pieces of veneer - in this case 16. You align the grain pattern up and down through the stack. Often the grain pattern "slips" one way or the other so when you finish aligning the grain, the pieces will usually be offset somewhat. You tape the stack to keep it in place and cut the segments, using a template. There's a lot more but you get the idea.

Thanks for your kind words.

Mike

did you use a bag mike to put it on the table? very nice work:thumb:
Yes. It's pretty tough to press an existing table (with an apron) with a wooden press because the center sinks and the veneer doesn't get pressed well there. A vacuum bags conforms and does a good job of pressing.

And just a comment on vacuum bags, you don't need 27" Hg vacuum to press veneer. A pump that will pull 15" to 20" will do fine. Using round numbers, suppose the weight of air you get is 10psi (a full vacuum at sea level is 14.7psi). In a 10" by 10" square (less than a square foot) you have 1,000 pounds. If you only get 5psi, you get 500 pounds in that 10x10 square. So think about putting a piece of veneer 10x10 on a piece of substrate and stacking 1,000 pounds on top of it. It'll press pretty good.

Mike

Last edited:
Yes. It's pretty tough to press an existing table (with an apron) with a wooden press because the center sinks and the veneer doesn't get pressed well there. A vacuum bags conforms and does a good job of pressing.

And just a comment on vacuum bags, you don't need 27" Hg vacuum to press veneer. A pump that will pull 15" to 20" will do fine. Using round numbers, suppose the weight of air you get is 10psi (a full vacuum at sea level is 14.7psi). In a 10" by 10" square (less than a square foot) you have 1,000 pounds. If you only get 5psi, you get 500 pounds in that 10x10 square. So think about putting a piece of veneer 10x10 on a piece of substrate and stacking 1,000 pounds on top of it. It'll press pretty good.

Mike

so when you get caught up, could you post a pic or tell us what your using for pump and bag combo?

so when you get caught up, could you post a pic or tell us what your using for pump and bag combo?
I have a 4'x8' vinyl bag that I got from Joe Woodworker. My pump is a Thomas 3.3CFM that I also got from Joe Woodworker. I think he has them for sale right now for about $120. There's some Thomas vacuum pumps on eBay right now. Search on "Thomas (compressor,vacuum)" and you'll find them.

Joe also has some kits that you can add to the pump to "complete" it. I bought the EVS kit. A picture of my pump is on Joe's web site. I forget the exact location but look for customer projects - I think that's what he called it.

I bought the 4x8 bag because I wanted one that would handle fairly large things. You can do small things in a big bag, but you can't stretch a small bag to do large things.

Mike

A picture of my pump is on Joe's web site.

henderson1.jpg

henderson2.jpg

Mike, it's a crying shame you couldn't get some wood with a bit of figure. Oh well, the stain looks nice. A little splotchy, but nice.

:rofl:

That's not only stunning work, Mike, it's stunning, and a raft of other superlatives. :bow: What abrasives do you like to use for rubbing out a lacquer finish?