"Cryptex"

Les Elm

I made this "Cryptex" or vault protected by a combination lock from the plans by Donald Horgan published in the Summer 2007 issue of ScrollSaw Woodworking and Crafts magazine.
Involved using a scrollsaw, drill press, lathe and router.
Made one each for my 4 grandkids using thier names as combination to the "Cryptex".
As always comments and or suggestions welcome.
Thanks for looking.

Les

Attachments

• Cryptex Lock Parts (Medium).JPG
    Cryptex Lock Parts (Medium).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Completed Cryptex Lock (Medium).JPG
    Completed Cryptex Lock (Medium).JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Cryptex Lock Vault (Medium).JPG
    Cryptex Lock Vault (Medium).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 92
I know a woman who said her father used to make those.
We were discussing them shortly after the movie The DaVinci Code came out.
Yes, please let us know where plans can be purchased.
BTW, well done and, again 'nifty'. :thumb:

Plans

Ordered the book the day this post started. Got it yesterday.

With shipping added it is a little expensive but I have been thinking of this idea for a few years.

Now I need to work out how I can best use the laser to cut and mark this project.

Hope to have one finished by Christmas for my Grandson.

BTW - With just a quick scan of the issue there are many other OK projects in it. May look into subscribing.

Last edited:
Les,
That looks really cool. I may be missing it in the pictures, but since the rings have to be aligned to a certain combination before you can pull the vault chamber out, I don't see the notches or whatever that would lock the chamber.. are there notches or grooves in the rings and a pin on the chamber to create the lock??

And were the letters lasered onto the rings... they appear to be near perfectly formed... certainly not like they would look if I were to print them.

Les answered me privately, yes, a scrollsaw is needed to make a cryptex. Leaves me out :( , no scrollsaw. I was hoping it could be done with a bandsaw.

But a hand scrollsaw is quite cheap, not everything has to be electrically powered, has it?
Those discs don't seem to be too thick to make it difficult to cut them by hand:dunno:

Les,
That looks really cool. I may be missing it in the pictures, but since the rings have to be aligned to a certain combination before you can pull the vault chamber out, I don't see the notches or whatever that would lock the chamber.. are there notches or grooves in the rings and a pin on the chamber to create the lock??

And were the letters lasered onto the rings... they appear to be near perfectly formed... certainly not like they would look if I were to print them.

Chuck;

The notches are cut inside the tumblers with pins in the vault body.

The letters on the tumblers are "Rub On's" with a finish over top.

Les

Chuck;

The notches are cut inside the tumblers with pins in the vault body.

The letters on the tumblers are "Rub On's" with a finish over top.

Les

Les,
I think I understand the process, but if it's not too much trouble, could you post a picture of the notches and pins. Don't know that I'll try one anytime soon, my scroll saw is being temperamental now... the slow speed is about twice as fast as the fast speed:(... need to spend some time on maintenance I think.:dunno:

Les,
I think I understand the process, but if it's not too much trouble, could you post a picture of the notches and pins. Don't know that I'll try one anytime soon, my scroll saw is being temperamental now... the slow speed is about twice as fast as the fast speed:(... need to spend some time on maintenance I think.:dunno:

Sorry Chuck

I don't have any photos of the notches and pins and to post
the plans will get me in trouble with the Copywrite Cops.
You can get a copy of the plans here:
http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/...s-issue-27-summer-2007.aspx?affiliateID=10054

Les