HF saw chain sharpener

Frank Fusco

Saw this ad from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93213
Looks like a good deal.
Even though I am only an occasional chain saw user, I have to pay $5.00 to get a chain sharpened and sometimes those guys really lean on the wheel and reduce the useful life of the chain considerably.
Seems it might not take too many sharpenings to recover my investment.
I guess the only question that remains is: Is this HF tool any good or is it El Junko?

I've seen this in their flyer several times... haven't actually looked at one myself since HF is either in Chattanooga or Knoxville and an hour's drive either way. Can't say about this particular tool, but for the most part, the tools I've bought at HF have been workable for me. I did buy a drill that I locked a drill bit in a piece and when I reversed it, it sheared the keeper screw off the chuck and the chuck came off the drill... boogered the threads so I can't put it back... the motor had plenty of torque though.
I use a HF dust collector that will suck my hand into the intake if I get too close. Their drill bits are junk though.

Frank look around & get one of the jigs that hold a file & clamp to the bar. They make it possible to set the rake & angle of the file. It works well & will even get you more life out of your chain.

Here is what I'm talking about.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308557_200308557

I've use one for about 20 some years now & they work just fine 2-3 swipes of the file on each tooth & your set to go. You can do it righ on the log you cutting or on the tail gate of your truck, a bench is nice too.:D

Frank, I have a HF chain sharpener. It is almost 100% plastic. I used mine for two years. Did an excellent job. With that all said, I bought a more expensive one as I wore the plastic parts to the point it wouldn't stay on task/tight. I would guess I cut on the average, 150 pickup loads of wood a year, average sharpening one weekend a month on four to six chains. This made it easier to take off a somewhat sharp chain and "touch it up" versus running it dull. You can manipulate and shave off the teeth edge versus "grinding" them off like many do at the sharpening shops. So,,, long story short, for the occasional user, I think it is a good tool. I just wore it out, but it long paid for itself as here it is $7.00 a chain to sharpen.

Bart, that certainly is an option I need to consider. Another advantage is on-site, no electric required.
Jonathan, thanks for the insight of experience. My usage would be considerably less.
I see Northern Tool has an electric sharpener in the same price range as the HF. I have had good luck with NT tools and stuff.
Now, I have options to consider.
Decisions, decisions..........:doh: ;)

Frank I also got one of those a while back. I found the chain locating mechanism to be sloppy but am able to use it by keeping hand tension on it when i use it. I don't bother clamping each tooth because that takes too much time. I do have the clamp snug enough to keep the tooth relatively controlled but still movable. I use it primarily to fix chain after I hit a nail or rock. You do have to go around a few times to keep from burning the cutter steel. I also use it to sharpen ripping chain for my 42" bar. I am waiting for a friend to get through chemo treatments. Her husband died a year ago and has reels of chain and all the chain maintenance tooling. She told me I will have first shot at it when she has an auction. In the meantime I just ordered some Carlton chain. I have heard good things about this chain and am going to give it a spin.

HF chainsaw sharpener

I got one three yrs ago on sale,I think for 39.00 and it has more than pd for itself.I have you the pro models for yrs.I didn't like the plastic when I 1st got it,but once you get it setup right,it does a pretty nice job.I just wait untill I get down to my last chain,then set it up an sharpen them all at one time.
Ken

I went with Bart's idea. Model I got is by Oregon. Paid $29.00 at a local hardware store, $6.00 less than the BORG. A bit more than from Amazon but I saved shipping and got it while I was in the market for one.
http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Manual...82-1746828?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1241552930&sr=8-7

I really like being able to sharpen the chain right on the saw out in the woods if need be.I carry my bottle of chain oil wrench roller tip greaser & Oregon sharpener in an old metal ammo box.

I think you will find Frank that will do the job. I have the one Bart has and since I don't cut pickup load after load it does a excellent job. It takes me about 5 minutes or so to change the chain so I carry about 4 or 5 sharpened chains with me.

Frank, I have that exact one, it is the only brand carried in Japan, that I could find, it is good, but it does have a few weaknesses, don't over tighten the tool on to the bar, it will splay out and the chain will not sharpen correctly DAMHIKT :doh: otherwise it works good, I did a lot of sharpening with it when I cut up and slabbed all of that lumber near me a while back.

Make sure you wear good leather gloves, as you have to manually move the chain for each tooth.

Cheers!