2 small tables-end grain lamp/end table, small storage coffee table

finished, maybe I should have wiped the sawdust off before I took the picture, I just wanted it out of my work area, cant move in there with all the stuff I got going on.
Not perfect, far from it. No fine furniture gallery is going to ask me to bring it down to them.
My expectations just are way too far for my woodworking skills.
And thats just the way it is.
Rome wasnt built in a day.(I could have done it in 4 days)

*I had rubbed 10 coats of mixed Cabots Poly high gloss and mineral spirits, the sheen was too bright.
I waxed it with butchers, didnt knock the sheen down enough.

I didnt have any room to move back and shoot it down at eye level.(when the wood floors go in, Ill get a better shot to see how it blends in with the room)

Attachments

• wood stuff 899 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 899 (Medium).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 901 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 901 (Medium).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
  • wood stuff 902 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 902 (Medium).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Your to hard on yourself Allen. I think it looks great:thumb:. If you realy aren't happy with it ship it to me. I'd be proud to use it in my living room:wave:.

Allen, I agree with Alan - you've got yourself a fine piece of furniture there. Looks like it will do what you want it to for some time and look nice besides!

As far as expectations, I'm sure both of us will improve as we each practice. They say you can learn a lot from other people's mistakes, but I think sometimes you just have to make a mess your own self before it really sinks in. :rofl:

Allen, I agree with Alan - you've got yourself a fine piece of furniture there. Looks like it will do what you want it to for some time and look nice besides!

As far as expectations, I'm sure both of us will improve as we each practice. They say you can learn a lot from other people's mistakes, but I think sometimes you just have to make a mess your own self before it really sinks in. :rofl:
your last statement has alot of truth in it mark you can read and watch others mess up and untill you do it,, not sink in but once that last door is being sprayed and you accidently have it drop and break you dont know the real sense of what they told you.

I removed the wax with mineral spirits and then used some turpentine.
It didnt effect the poly.
I then applied a lightly brushed coat of poly, Im going to leave it with sheen, seems as usual, I was outvoted again as to how this top should look.

I understand where your coming from Allen with the trying to get the finish to where your happy with it but if loyl likes it then tis best to leave it alone. I've found that If I don't like the way something is turning out I ask loml and if she likes it I leave it alone and she hasn't been wrong yet.

Ya done good, Allen. :thumb:

How many "firsts" did you have on this build? Quite a few, as I recall. In the past 8 months you've gained more experience and tried more new things than some of us here have done in 8 years. ;)

polyurethane, urgggghhhhhhh!!!!!

saturday night, around 10:30 or so while watching basketball, I decided to lightly sand and brush on another coat of poly, the wax came off easy enough.

Its been very humid, although cool.

The poly didnt dry by sunday night, a few sticky spots, and someone in my house placed 3 remote controls, cable box, tv, and game remote on different spots, near ends of table, and sure enough, the black paint of the remotes came right off onto the table, and seemed to go right through and almost dye the wood. I had to sand it down basically to bare wood.
I will apply poly in sections, and hope it comes out ok.
Im not happy about this, everyone was told to leave tabletop alone for a few days.

this is the reason I cant bring anything into my house before its absolutely dry and cured, or post yellow warning tape around it, my house is like grand central station on some nights.
Amazing the way everyone has to touch a surface.Theres fingerprints also.

well allen this is called practice,, and you should have the grain filled pretty much now and it shouldnt take as many coats to get it back where yu want it to be