Another Spalted Hackberry Bowl

Jeff Bower

This is the other half of the log that also produced this bowl. This one is a little smaller in diameter, only 10" but just about the same height, 4". Pics were taken quickly because I was running late to a house warming party, and I needed to get pics taken fast.:doh: It now sits atop a counter in a friends newly built home and they want some more pieces too!

Attachments

• 100_0311.JPG
    100_0311.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0312.JPG
    100_0312.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0313.JPG
    100_0313.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_0314.JPG
    100_0314.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0315.JPG
    100_0315.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 48
Chuck this hackberry isn't hard at all, but it is VERY spalted, to the point of almost to spalted. :eek:

Wish I had a way to make wood spalt like this, but it was just left in my dad's wood pile and it ended up this way. I'm going to raid his stash Memorial Day weekend if there is any left.

Chuck this hackberry isn't hard at all, but it is VERY spalted, to the point of almost to spalted. :eek:

Wish I had a way to make wood spalt like this, but it was just left in my dad's wood pile and it ended up this way. I'm going to raid his stash Memorial Day weekend if there is any left.

Mine is still a little green, I just picked it up this summer from a friend.. It has some ant damage up the middle and one piece has curled over almost into an ogee shape.. I tried a small piece yesterday and it did fight back some.
Not as bad as the red oak piece I wanted to turn... it's so out of balance it literally made the lathe dance and moved it about 3 inches, shook the head stock loose. Even after I went back to the band saw and rounded it more, it's still too out of balance to handle.