Attaching False Drawer Fronts

Kevin Reid

I am making a 7 drawer dresser and am stumped about how to attach the false drawer fronts to the drawers and get them on straight. My thought was to use some double sided tape to get them positioned correctly and to screw through the front of the drawer and just into the false front. Then remove the tape and screw the screws the rest of the way. Does anyone have a better way. Thanks.

That is a question that I am happy you asked. I am setting 14 drawer fronts this weekend. I am/was going to use the same procedure you said. my drawers are inset so I wil be using spacers to allign. Great question Kevin, I am also looking forward to suggestions on how to do this :thumb:

position the top one, clamp it. drill your handle holes threw the false frt and just to the drawer, screw it in place with some screws to get final position. open drawer then attached from back with you permanent srews or brads.. after one is set. use a piece of scrap lumber as spacer to set the rest of them if the top is right the others should be paralel as well. and yu can see the alinement of them as yu go.

If you will be using a center knob:
- drill hole for knob, slightly oversized, through front of drawer and false front.
- Attach knob loosely.
- Align drawer front and use knob to snug it inposition.
- carefully open drawer, clamp and drive retaining screws in through drawer front into false front.
- repeat.

If they are inset drawers:
- start with the bottom drawer, next drawer above removed from carcass.
- use pennies to achieve spacing from to bottom and sides for the bottom false front and clamp in place.
- slide out drawer and attach with retaining screws.
- place pennies on bottom drawer front and use these to align the next false front.
- repeat.

I use double stick tape or voodoo for the top drawer front ;-) These are also very handy; drill oversize holes to achieve some wiggle room for adjusting.

Last edited:
I do the same thing as Larry but start at the bottom & use double stick tape & then drill & screw in through the box & set the spacer on the top edge of the front & go on up from there. I usually build lipped drawers so this may make a difference I don't really know if it does or not.

I've always used hot melt glue. It gives you about 10 seconds to make fine adjustments before it sets and I usually glue on all the fronts before screwing them on to make sure nothing shifted.

I've always used hot melt glue. It gives you about 10 seconds to make fine adjustments before it sets and I usually glue on all the fronts before screwing them on to make sure nothing shifted.

now there's a clever methode:thumb: and push comes to shove yu can still remove them cuz hot melt doesnt have that strong of a grip.. quess the wife will be missun hers soon:) thanks alan:D:thumb:

Those are all great suggestions. I like the hot melt glue idea. Sometimes simple is the best. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will let you all know how it went (with pictures) after the weekend.