wood turning handles, whats your favorite

neil mackay

I am wondering how popular the wood turning multi handles are? That is handles such as Vermec. Porforme, Oneway etc

So what do you use?

What diameter does it take?

If you have more than one whats your favourite?

What are its draw backs if any?

The only one I've got is the one on my McNaughton hollowing rig, it is very nice and heavy, I imagine it would be good with a larger gouge for roughing.

The only thing I can see about them that is a downside is the cost :dunno:

I know that some of the guys who travel and put on demos like them, as they can break down the handles and gouges to fit into a smaller package, and carry just one or two handles and have a selection of tools to place into the handle.

Cheers!

Got a Few

I like the Oneways-good mass, comfortable, double ended. Takes 1/2" on one end and something like 3/8" on the other for the small handle and 1/2" & I think 5/8" for the bigger handle.

I like the Monster handles-good mass, comfortable, long. Single size per handle unless you get the double ended. I have a 3/8", 1/2", & 5/8" (they are on special sale again this year !) Check out Randy's post in the Commercial Forum.

I have a Kelton that I use with their hollowing cutters and they work well also. 1/2" on one end and 5/8" on the other I think.

So many choices:D

They all do the job.:thumb:

Last edited:
Another vote for the Monster handles, and thanks for the reminder about the sale, Don. :thumb: I took advantage of it last year and stocked up.

agree I have both also ......the Monster and the Oneway with 1/2" and 5/8" openings on opposite ends.........like them both alot and are now my favorite turning tools because of these handles........

Wood turning handles,whats your favorite

I have the Thompson 3/4 bowl gouge and the wooden handle I made just didn't cut it,so after looking around,I got the Holsaluk handle at packard woodworks, mainly because it was cheaper and the gouge has a 3/4 shank.It is 22" long and believe me there is no other handle out there that will do a better job.Absolutly so chatter,it ain't light,but niether is that 3/4 gouge.Some of the other tools,I just use my KelMcNaughton handles.

I have a friend who makes wonderful handles at a reasonable price. He can make it to fit whatever tool you have and in whatever length you desire. He can make them from steel or aluminum in a variety of diameters and covers the handle with cross linked polyethylene.

He just made me 1 1/2" diameter, 20" long handle with 5/8" and 3/4" in opposite ends.

If you are interested PM me and I will send you the contact information.