stabilizing set-up

Frank Fusco

Shown below is a vacuum set-up for stabilizing wood I am getting ready for a test flight.
The pot was given to me on my Family visit to see Jay Caughron. You know Jay, he is the guy that builds organs and has a big bearded monkey.
Enneyhow, the old paint pot is one of two Jay gave me. This one only needed about an hours work to clean up and get ready for the project. The other will wait until I can devote more time than that.
The Gast pump I bought from a friend who got it at a bargain price at an auction then sold to me at a modest profit.
I will be doing a test and review on a new stabilizing product called Ultraseal. I think I'll be allowed to post here afterwards.
The wood in front is some very spalted Redbud a friend cut down last spring. It was soaking wet at the time but has dried. Huge amount of waste in cutting down these oversized pen blanks. Most of my stabilizing will be limited to pen blanks, knife handle slabs and duck calls.

Attachments

• pressure pot.jpg
    pressure pot.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 55
Cool...I'll be looking forward to seeing your results. I've though of setting up something similar for myself.

:lurk:

I have used it once for a product review test of Ultraseal.
The pump/vac set-up performed just fine.
The results of the test were not encouraging. They are posted elsewhere but save your time, not encouraging.
The company is sending samples of Ultraseal II for a new test/review. I'll post that also.
But, as far as my set-up is concerned, I'm happy with it and am sure that as long as the stable solution I use is good my results will be happy.
BTW, Jay gave me two paint pots and I only need one. The unused one will need some cleaning and probably a new seal. But the price is right.
If anyone wants it, I'll send for cost of shipping.

I have used it once for a product review test of Ultraseal.
The pump/vac set-up performed just fine.
The results of the test were not encouraging. They are posted elsewhere but save your time, not encouraging.
The company is sending samples of Ultraseal II for a new test/review. I'll post that also.
But, as far as my set-up is concerned, I'm happy with it and am sure that as long as the stable solution I use is good my results will be happy.
BTW, Jay gave me two paint pots and I only need one. The unused one will need some cleaning and probably a new seal. But the price is right.
If anyone wants it, I'll send for cost of shipping.

Hey Frank just wanted to let you know that I found the other lid bold so if you are up this way anytime stop by. Would like to see you again anyway.
Jay

Hey Frank, I may be interested in your spare pressure pot. Any idea how much it weighs?

Rare folks that can stand to look at this old face twice. ;)
I plan to come by again. Thanks for invite.

I'm guessing all these years of grinding organs and playing with monkeys have affected his eyesight. :p

And I agree with Royall...your new avatar is very cool.

Looks like it'd be about $20 to ship it Parcel Post. I'm interested if you're willing to box it up. Drop me a PM and we can work out the details if you'd like. :thumb: