Old Woodworker Joins in ...

My son owns and operates the business now ( www.woodcraftplans.com ) . When he was a boy he would come into the shop and dull my tools. Now, I go into his shop and use his tools and he always reminds me to sharpen up the tools I use. I just look at him the way he did when I reminded him to sharpen my tools he would use as a boy. Nice little "payback" moments. I do come back later and sharpen them up.

Latest Project

Here's my latest project. A Mission style "A" frame with a porch swing. That's me sitting there. The legs are split by saw kerf (17" from foot) and then spread to the top beam using a stringer and carriage bolts. The seat is 61" wide and fairly comfortable. The design is based on early mission design. Mission furniture was so popular that even outdoor furniture became influenced. I did cheat a bit, choosing to ignore the mortise and tenon joinery. This was really two projects in one. The porch swing could be hung under a porch. The "A" frame is interesting in itself and could be used to hang a variety of pieces, such as a see saw ride or outdoor rocking animal, perhaps. The unique "bentwood" legs are pretty sturdy and do not "lift" off when swinging. Lots of curious folks have stopped by to look at them. My son actually designed the piece and has the plans.

Attachments

• cw010.jpg
    cw010.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 16
Very nice swing :thumb: My wife loves them so I may just have to go and get those plans. I do not care for the traditional version with round, I guess, landscape timber construction, but that version :thumb::thumb::thumb: