2 Knots = 1 Pen

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
attachment.php

A Perfect Fit BP pen in curly maple with a bloodwood centre band.

Finished with 7 coats of 4 hr. dry poly applied over 3 days.

Mack, the fit and finish are flawless! It looks great, the lower knot on the nib barrel is a little smaller to match the smaller diameter of that barrel, the center band puts it all together! What are you using for glue on these knots?

Mack, the fit and finish are flawless! It looks great, the lower knot on the nib barrel is a little smaller to match the smaller diameter of that barrel, the center band puts it all together! What are you using for glue on these knots?

I think Jonathan said it all when he says flawless Mack.

Just love these pens with the knot in them. and the color contrasts are real neat and eye catching.:thumb:

Mack, the fit and finish are flawless! It looks great,
the lower knot on the nib barrel is a little smaller to match the smaller diameter of that barrel,
Hi Jonathon; Both knots start life the same size. As I turn down to the smaller dia. of the nib barrel, that's the consequence.
the center band puts it all together!
That's exactly the outcome I was hoping for!
What are you using for glue on these knots?
I used thick CA since the knot is a 3 part sandwich of guitar pick guard (.090 in. th.) and I wasn't certain if a wood glue would hold everything together.

hey mac could you give us a tutorial on how to do the celtic knots that your using for these pens? the check is in the mail:)
Hi Larry; No cheque would ever be required!

But here's my legit concern, to date 67 views, 7 replies, 2 of them are mine, 1 is yours, and 1 is Rob's.

I'm not sure there is enough interest in learning how to do it as there is in looking at it.

To put a tut together that provides the complete instruction so anyone can do it requires a tremendous amount of work. i.e. writing, picture taking etc. I just like turning pens.

Please don't take this as being selfish on my part. If anybody has a real interest, and wants to visit me in my basement workshop, I will gladly take whatever time is necessary to show them what is required to do a knot such as this.

Beautiful work, Mack. Looks absolutely flawless from here. (And the Perfect Fit is one of my favorite kits to use, too.)

Add my vote for a tutorial, but I fully understand if you'd prefer not to put one together. :thumb:

:wave:OK; for Vaughn, Ron & my new best friend Larry, here's a very quick synopsis of how I do a knot.

The wood you use must be square. I will use a 1" sq. piece of wood somewhat longer than I would use for the pen blank, and then cut to the proper length. I also use a stop block on my mitre fence to ensure I'm cutting at the same length each time.

The 2 knots shown on this pen are cut at 37º. Very simply, make a cut of the appropriate angle, insert the sandwich of your choice and glue back together.

Next day, turn the blank 180º, and make angle cut through the exact centre of the blank, and again glue in sandwich.

Day 3, turn blank 90º. and make angle cut. Glue in sandwich as before. Day 4, see previous paragraph.

Some penturners that I know use a SCM, for cutting their angles. I prefer to use my TS.

attachment.php

I may have shown this knot previously. It is cut at 60º.

For further information and other ways of completing this knot, there are many penturning forums where tutorials can be searched for in their library or tutorial section.

I hope this gives you some idea of how a knot is formed. It looks more complicated than it really is. If it were any more complicated I wouldn't have been able to do it!

Really nice job on the wood combo. It's tough to keep the those darker woods from bleeding into the maple.

Great Job!