Keeping Turning Time to a minimum

Chas Jones

______
________A Touch of Minimalist_______________Click on images for larger view.

Chas, good looking clock. Simple, yet elegant. :thumb:

Now, to change the battery, one would just pull the clock out from the case? :huh:

What diameter is the face?

What is the finish?

As always, nice job Chas. You never cease to inspire me (I just haven't begun trying to make some of your projects, yet).

Aloha, Tony

Chas you never cease to amaze me. That is certainly a great minimalist approach to a clock and it works so well. I am used to seeing clocks embedded in a chunck of wood but that wood border looks so much finer and refined. How about a nice spalted one or one in a dark wood. The contrast would be huge between say the gold and walnut. Real neat arrangement.:thumb:

..... That is certainly a great minimalist approach to a clock and it works so well. I am used to seeing clocks embedded in a chunck of wood but that wood border looks so much finer and refined. ...
Thanks Rob, the chunky craft stall look was precisely what I was trying to avoid. Don't know about your side of the pond but over here it would seem that a clock switches many turners into beading and embellishment mode.
Contrast woods, SWMBO has already voiced similar, have a shed full of spalted but I think it may be too busy or to far gone for fine detail, need to drag out the storage bins and see what was put away awaiting inspiration

I really like this one, Chas. Very clean look. You definitely achieved your goal of breaking out of the "craft stall" look. :thumb:

Dunno if I could to the 100mm part, though, since I don't have a metric lathe. :D

I think you could get Round to it if you tried Vaughn.:D
I just realized my Nova chucks have 100mm jaws, so I could probably pull it off after all. I guess you could say I have a hybrid setup. :p

(Actually, aside from the spindle threads, I'll bet everything on my lathe is metric.)

Vaughn,for nine years I was responsible for USA Air force workshops (2 X aircraft hangar size) to say life was interesting when equipment and material stock was sourced from all over the world. Can't remember how many times I have had to explain that the fractional/imperial dimension being specified was a prime metric size. In many instances the materials such as sheet alloys had their spec. limits written in imperial around accepting the metric near equivalent. Quite interesting when you were trying to make replacement Hydraulic parts from metric tube to fit aircraft imperial fittings or replace a fuselage skin with sheet a few thou different in thickness.

Weird thing is U.S. can't decide which system we want to use.... liquer bottles are in metric, when I was in shipping, more often than not all rate quotes were to me in metric, but we still use the imperial for measurement of lengths, areas, etc... at my last job, we built boxes - shipping crates - in imperial measurements, weighed them in both and printed both weights on the boxes, then billed the customer in imperial dimentions... I think about 30 or 40 years back there was a movement and even some congressional mandates that the USA would convert to the metric system...