Biscuit Joining

Dan Thibert

I am thinking that in making new kitchen doors it may be best to use a biscuit in order to line up the wood for gluing. I do not have a planer, but if I get the glue joints close enough a bit of sanding will probably do it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive yet good way of doing this???

Dan, if you don't have a planer how are you going to make sure that each board you glue together is the same thickness? Buying dimensional wood is no guaranty that they will be exactly the same. There is also some skill involved in accurately placing biscuits so that your boards line up exactly. The point I am getting around to is that you still need a way to plane your glue-ups when things don't go just right. I suggest a hand plane. That is how I finish up my large glue up's because my planer only has a capacity of 13". You live in an area of the country where you can easily pick up a good used hand plane. Oh by the way, I don't ever use my biscuit joiner for glue up's, just not worth the trouble. I really should sell that thing.

Last edited:
I am thinking that in making new kitchen doors it may be best to use a biscuit in order to line up the wood for gluing. I do not have a planer, but if I get the glue joints close enough a bit of sanding will probably do it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive yet good way of doing this???

Hey Dan - I think I already offered, but just to offer again.

I am no expert - but I have glued up a few panels.

I have a biscuit joiner, and I have a planer - and clamps.

If you wanna - we can get together and mess around with that stuff.

Once you see how to do one panel - then you can do others.

I am about 1 hour 20 minutes from you - not all that bad in the whole scheme of things.

You are welcome to come any time. Just need a small amount of notice when you wanna do it.

Thanks Bill,
When you are talking about a planer are you talking about the "old fashion" hand planer? Wooden with a knife sticking out the bottom of it :rofl:

Are you talking about the electirc type planer? :huh:

I have two hand planes and one is a # 4 I think:dunno:

Would that be all that I need?

Glue up my joint as best as I can and then plane the surface smooth:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the offer Leo,
I am just wondering if we could get much done with having to let the glue dry before we could plane it? I am just starting this project (in the thinking phase) :D looks like I will be working with Oak and I have a bunch of doors and drawers to do.
My thought is to get one done to my liking, and then use that process as the template for the others.
Maybe getting one as far as we could go would be good enough to get me on the right path:rolleyes:

Assuming the thickness is the same, what skill is involved other than holding the unit flat on the board? :huh:

Biscuits are not consistent in size. By design the fit is a little loose. The biscuits swell in reaction to the moisture in the glue and can be a little unpredictable if not clamped . . . I guess my point is; its not foolproof :D

Just to add my 2 cents, I use biscuits a fair amount, but never for edge gluing panels. There are better ways to line up boards, and the biscuits do not add strength, stability or fine alignment.

To clarify which tools are which - a handtool which holds a blade and removes thin shavings is a plane. An electric tool which passes a board through it and removes a layer up to the width of the machine is a planer.

If you get your edges reasonably close, you can improve them with a plane, a planer or a sander. Lots of ways to get the job done. Good luck.

Thanks Ken,
So if I am understanding you :huh:
Using a biscuit will not nessesarily help with getting the edges closer together if I am careful.
Using a biscuit will not add strength ( I already know that)

Once I have the boards glued together and can use a plane and or a planer and or sanding to even out my surface.

Would a hand planer be easier to handle and get a better finished product than a plane?:dunno:

Last edited:
Using a biscuit will not nessesarily help with getting the edges closer together if I am careful.
Using a biscuit will not add strength ( I already know that)

Once I have the boards glued together and can use a plane and or a planer and or sanding to even out my surface.

Would a hand planer be easier to handle and get a better finished product than a plane?:dunno:

Right on sentences no. 1, 2, & 3.

I'm not sure what you mean by hand planer. If you are referring to a hand held electric power tool with a rotating head, I've never used one, but imagine it could mess things up in a hurry. A hand plane will take your surface down one or two thousandths at a time. A sander is also a reasonable option.

Bottom line: Leo has very generously made you an offer you shouldn't refuse.

For smoothing out the surface of cabinetry or a table top, I wouldn't go near that cordless planer with a 10 foot pole. Better to buy yourself a well tuned good quality handplane, like a No. 5.

For smoothing out the surface of cabinetry or a table top, I wouldn't go near that cordless planer with a 10 foot pole. Better to buy yourself a well tuned good quality handplane, like a No. 5.

Thanks Ken I have a good quality #5 i think hand plane that I got from my father and I have sharpened it so I am probably good there and I will not get in trouble for buying another tool. :thumb:
No sleeping on the couch this week :clap:

I found this cordless planer at Sears, I already have the drill and two batteries so this looks like it might be a good deal?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ls&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&keyword=planer'

What do you guys think?

I agree with Ken. You probably don't want that cordless planer (or any of the similar corded models) anywhere near a real woodworking project. In my experience with powered hand planers (and I have a good Bosch model) they are OK for trimming a little bit off the bottom of a door, but they are not good at all for flattening a glued-up panel.

I'll also second the motion that Leo has made a very generous offer that in the long run will likely save you lots of time and frustration. ;)

I dont understand why biscuit joiners seem to always get put down on this forum.

I do not believe for one minute in certain joints, like aprons or frames, joining ends of boards are not stronger with a biscuit inserted than just glue.

I get current woodworking magazines, and biscuit joinery is used so much in attaching frames to cabinets, not so much for alignment, but just for the joining of the face frame and the edge of plywoods, seems the authors and designers feel a biscuit adds some type of strength, or why would they bother using them if alignment isnt an issue when attaching an oversized frame to a cabinet?

Dan and I will get together - just need to work out the timing.

Electric hand held planers are great things. For what I have no idea. Ohh yeah - I remember - to ruin a project.

My friend has one. I can borrow it any old time I want.

Dan - I promise - we will not be borrowing it.

There are sevral ways to skin a cat - and several ways to glue up a panel.

Dowels are nice. Biscuits are nice - glue joint router bits are nice - tounge and groove is nice. Lots of stuff is nice.

Truth is - you don't "NEED" any of those things. Modern PVA glue and a halfway decent joint is all you need for edge to edge gluing. The glued edge to edge butt joint is stronger than the surrounding wood.

It's not all that hard - yes a little work - but certaily doable.

We will discuss several techniques - and glue up at least one panel. You will leave with enough information to do up your project.

I dont understand why biscuit joiners seem to always get put down on this forum.

Allen, I'm not putting biscuits down. I think they are great. I use them regularly. They do fine joining ends to sides, making frames, and joining face frames to carcasses, among other uses.

But not for edge joining flat boards. As Leo pointed out, they are simply not necessary.

I don't put biscuits down, in fact, I eat them for breakfast.

All the best,
Ken