Craftsman Farms - Morris Plains NJ

Jim Mattheiss

Geez -

A few days ago we received a flyer from Frederic Ducklow CO. (sp) a seller of fine furniture. We stopped ages ago in their Portland PA store and signed the mailing list.

I pointed out some Stickley Furniture in the catalog/flyer that I liked to LOML. She says - oh , maybe we should go to the Stickley House in Morris Plains NJ (15 minutes away). I had NO IDEA it was there!

They (Craftsman Farms) have a busy event schedule over the summer and I'll have to look into going and looking around. I need some inspiration!

Has any of the east coast contingent been?

Link to the site: http://www.stickleymuseum.org/

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:
Never been to the Craftsman farms but if you like Stickley furniture, the Riordan House in Flagstaff AZ is awesome. There are even a few pieces of Harvey Ellis. If you have not been the next time you get out west it is definitely worth the stop.

I am a craftsman furniture freak. It does not hurt that I have two Craftsman homes one from a Stickley plan.

Sounds like you are going to have a fun trip.

Alan

Folks:

I though I'd drag this post out of 2009 and into the present.

LOML and I went to Craftsman Farms today and took the guided 11:15 AM tour. Since we were the only 2 people on the tour it was nice as we could interact with the docent on a more personal level.

The tour centers on the family home and the immediate grounds around the home. The house was sold furnished to a family when Stickley went bankrupt and it remained in their family for a LONG time.

At this time they said that they have about 80% of the original furnishings and some of the stories are fantastic on how the furniture was donated or came back on loan to the Farm.

I enjoyed the visit and we will keep an eye on their calendar for other events.

In Syracuse some descendants of Gustav Stickley have a museam with tours. Nexttime we pass thru we might need to investigate.

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss

PS: I have just determined that the Nakashima studio in New Hope PA with self guided tours on Saturday afternoon. I'm 99% sure we drive past the studio on the way to Rice's Market in New Hope (a flea market).

http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com

They also have guided tours that need to be scheduled in advance for groups of 10-30 with a $20 per head donation to Nakashima Foundation for Peace.

That might be next up on my North East WW Tour . . .