Results of Steel Snake

These are 2 of the turnings using the Steel Snake. The Milo was finished with Tung Oil and Beal buffed, The Kou Haole was finished with Danish oil, Wipe on Poly and buffed. Sorry about the flash.

Attachments

• Kou Haole 6h x7.5w.JPG
    Kou Haole 6h x7.5w.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Milo 8h x 6.25w.JPG
    Milo 8h x 6.25w.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Milo  8hx6.25w.JPG
    Milo 8hx6.25w.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks like it works to me. :thumb: Good choice to make a couple somewhat "open" hollow forms to get the feel for the tool. Great work on both pieces, too. I really like the texturing on the first piece, and the butterfly patches on the second.

Good morning John. Nice work. I recognized the milo, but haven't been around here long enough to know what Kou Haole is, or was that supposed to be Koa? The last piece with the bows is very common here from what I've seen at some of the wood galleries in town. I think you are either on island or have been here:thumb:

Kou Haole

Yes it's KOU not KOA. This the hybrid of the original KOU of long ago that is very rare. This, I believe is Cordia Sebestena not Cordia Subcordata which is the old days Kou. It was used by the ancient Hawaiians to make callabashes.

Nicely done. Glad to see someone having great success with the snake. I know I really like mine. Jonathan, take a look in the tips and tutorial section. Chuck and I both have information on the steel snake.

Hey John,

Beautiful pieces. I didn't recognize your name right off, and didn't know you were a member of the "Family" here too. :dunno: Glad to see you. :wave: (I guess I better pay closer attention) :rofl:

I have to contact you sometime soon. :D

Beautiful work John. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony