Winged Crotch Bowl

Been quite a while since I posted anything - so thought I would see what you all thought of this one.

This is one half of a crotch piece of White Birch that I split right down the middle with my chainsaw last fall. The other half was roughed out at the same time and mirrors this one but I have yet to finish turn it. Lots of worm holes, curl and a little color from spalting really help to bring this piece to life.

White birch – 13 ½” x 9 ½” outside measurements with 1/8” thick wings. The bowl is 8 ¾” diameter x 2 ¼” high with the rim 3/16” rapidly tapering to 1/8” thick for the bowl portion. I left the wings exactly as they were cut with the chainsaw and left the saw marks on the edge of the wings. Everything was sanded to 320 grit and when these photos were taken it had the first of several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss poly.

Winged Bowl V1.JPG Winged Bowl V2.JPG Winged Bowl V3.JPG Winged Bowl V4.JPG Winged Bowl V5.JPG

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Chuck - turning one of these is not a problem as long as you follow the same rule as with any turning - nothing but the tool extends over the rest - ever!

That only works for those of us who aren't klutz's in the shop... I know my body heals pretty well 'cause it's almost always healing from something :rofl:

I generally tell people, if there's no blood in the work, it may not be mine.