T.V. stand

Al killian

I am getting ready to make a t.v. stand for a cleint and not sure about the top board thickness. The stand will be 58"w x 24"d x 24" h. Looking at the sag calculator it say 1" would be fine, but being for a cleint I want to make sure it wont sag to bad over the years. In the pic there is a middle support. This will not be in the the one he wants.
davestv.jpg

This will be made from solid ro except the back which will be ro ply.
Here is the front veiw
davestv2.jpg

Last edited:
If your worried about it sagging just add arail behind the doors thats about a 1/4" less in width than the width of the rails of the doors. If thats a problem then maybe a 1" square steel tube laminated with a piece of wood to hide it.

hey al ,,figure out the spacing between supports and then put a Red oak board across that span and stand on it.. then find out the approximate weight of the tv and compare,,the new ones arent very heavy now days. and i would try to convince the client of the center support if you need it. i dont think you will need any more than the frame work you show.

put a Red oak board across that span and stand on it.. then find out the approximate weight of the tv and compare,

That's sort of like weighing a pig.....you put a board across a log and put the pig on one end...then you pile rocks on the other end until they balance...then you guess how much the rocks weigh:rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the serious side, laminating a 3/4" piece of quality ply on the underside will greatly enhance the strength without compromising inside storage capacity too much. Just be generous with the glue in the lamination.

Roger

Last edited:
Thanks all. I am going to use 5/4 for the top and run a 4/4x3" brace(kinda like a "T") towards the back of the span. This should give more then ample support. If all goes well I should have all the lumber in the shop and ready for milling by this weekend.