busy day today!! part one

Dan Noren

Staff member
yours truly was truly a busy monkey today:D
i managed to get all of the parts (except for the 4 posts) for the grandfather clock cut, refined the frame for the drop in cushion for the foot stool, and did the refining cuts, cut all mortises and tenons, and got the breadboard ends set up for the coffee table. the way i'm doing the breadboard ends is this, i cut a long mortise in the breadboard end, then cut tenons on the ends of the parts for the top, then cut in the outer corners on the tenons to have about 1/4" play on the ends. i then found (not that they were lost mind you :rofl:) centers of all the top board ends, and cut a shallow mortise, then drilled a hole for the screws, which will be covered up by a nicely contrasting plug. the outer boards fit nicely, but for some reason, the inner ones will need some persuading.

Attachments

• start of day.JPG
    start of day.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 37
  • ends mortised for screws and plugs.JPG
    ends mortised for screws and plugs.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
  • checking the fit.JPG
    checking the fit.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 31
  • cutting tenons.JPG
    cutting tenons.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 35
  • getting tenons ready on the top.JPG
    getting tenons ready on the top.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 32
  • both ends done.JPG
    both ends done.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 31
  • one end done.JPG
    one end done.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 31
  • making long mortise in breadboard end.JPG
    making long mortise in breadboard end.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 36
  • grandfather clock parts cut.JPG
    grandfather clock parts cut.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 32
  • grandfather clock boards.JPG
    grandfather clock boards.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 31
busy day!! part 2

the rest of the pics!!

Attachments

• coffee table parts.JPG
    coffee table parts.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 24
  • tenons and arcs cut.JPG
    tenons and arcs cut.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 24
  • squaring up the legs.JPG
    squaring up the legs.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 37
  • legs sqared, mortised, and chamfered.JPG
    legs sqared, mortised, and chamfered.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 26
The way your movin along Dan it looks like you might have a plan:thumb:. Are you competing with Allen to see who can complete a project the fastest:D.

You're making better progress than I typically do. :thumb:

I did notice something in this pic:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32526&d=1242609284

Using the miter gauge and the fence like that is a recipe for a nasty kickback. All it takes is for the board to get a little crooked between the fence and the blade, and it'll be shot back at you in a heartbeat.

The solution is to use a stop block attached to your fence. You can still use the miter gauge, and the stop block lets you reference off the block and get four legs the same length, but you avoid having a crosscut board between the fence and the blade.

Here's a quick sketch:

Stop Block for Crosscutting.jpg

The way your movin along Dan it looks like you might have a plan:thumb:. Are you competing with Allen to see who can complete a project the fastest:D.

nah, i'm not competing with allen, i just like to keep things moving along. it is a bit unusual for me to have more than one project going at the same time. i just have to make the most of when we have nice weather, that's the way it goes when you're working in the biggest shop in the world. :rofl:

that i did allen, and if i weren't so dog tired and running out of daylight when i was done (started at 10 this morning, and finished up around 6:30 tonight), i would have cut the biscuit slots and the top would be sitting in clamps. but, the 2 center boards have to have thier tenons finessed a little, and i have to clean up the sides of the mortises. i still haven't decided on what will be the plug material yet. i may raid the goody box that don sent, perhaps some curly maple...

thanks vaughn! i try to make hay while the sun shines. i see your point, and i think i will do that from now on. it may have been dumb luck all this time, but i've yet to have any kickback like that when i do that, but careful is the best way to go. no fun looking for trouble, especially when it finds you. :(

...thanks vaughn! i try to make hay while the sun shines. i see your point, and i think i will do that from now on. it may have been dumb luck all this time, but i've yet to have any kickback like that when i do that, but careful is the best way to go. no fun looking for trouble, especially when it finds you. :(

:thumb: The block on the fence is a little "jig" that takes only a few seconds to add, and the payoff is well worth it. (Fortunately, I was standing out of the line of fire when I learned this lesson years ago. It was like shooting a 2x4 out of a cannon.) :eek: I have a 3" x 6" or so piece of UHMW plastic that's exactly 1" thick that I keep by my tablesaw. (Wood works fine, too.) Since it's exactly 1" thick, I can still use the scale on my fence and just add an inch to whatever measurement I needed. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: