3 phase converters

Alan Bienlein

I'm building a cyclone for my shop and I can get a 5 horsepower 3 phase motor for free. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience using a single phase to 3 phase converter specificaly the electronic ones.

I'm building a cyclone for my shop and I can get a 5 horsepower 3 phase motor for free. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience using a single phase to 3 phase converter specificaly the electronic ones.

Actually I'm in the same situation, and for the information I've gathered you could make it work provided that you have the amperage needed for it to run, disregard of the phase.

So if your 3phase motor need for instance 30amps, you will need those same amps (or more) in single phase to make the motor run properly (with the converter), plus your power tools at the same time.

I'm not expert at all but I'm learning fast, and I'm getting to the point of thinking seriously about getting 3phase current, and forget about all this hassle.

Those electronic converters work well but they are quite expensive, at least here.

Last edited:
allan,
rotary converters are better than electronic, you loose less power.
can you get "pole power" at your shop? if so a whole new world of equipment is open to you.

Tod,
Pole power isn't an option. I can get a 3 ph motor for free and the electronic converter cost $200. I just got back from looking at the motors he had and they were all 1725rpm which is to slow. I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the 5 hp single phase motor. I do appreciate your responses to my question.:thumb:

Well since we are on this subject anyway, I have to chime in. Others can use this info.

If your talking about and 'electronic' converter as in a VFD (variable frequency drive) that's a good choice. They do produce 3 phase and a good choice. There is a limit to the size that is practical and I think 5HP is right at that limit.

If your talking about a Static Phase converter, that has it's applications but not a great choice in my mind. They do not provide 3 phase power to the motor. Once you get a 3 phase motor spinning it will run on single phase (2 hot wires vs 3 hot wires). The provide 3 hot legs to get the motor started and then it runs on 2. It can't produce it full power. I read 1/2- 2/3 of the rate HP.

If your going to do several machines a Rotary is the way to go. 3 phase machines are often cheaper and much heavier. A rotary converter fires up a 3 phase motor and the runs on 2 legs, but it uses the the 3 unused leg of the motor as a generator, it generators the 3rd leg of 3 phase. Then you can use the 2 hot wires you have and the 3rd leg your motor generate the 3rd. It works great.

I have a rotary converter and I love it. I can buy 3 phase machines cheaply because others pass them over. I just have to start the phase converter first. No biggie.

alan,
check around before you bite the bullet, often times you can build a converter and buy a 3 phase motor for little more than the cost of a single phase motor.....then if you size your converter properly you can run a piece of equipment as well as your d/c.
something to think about.