Southwest Style Green Maple HF

My first experiment with green RIT dye came out looking like a Granny Smith Apple. You can see my first green hollow form here:http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14299

A lot of folks liked it but it was not the shade I was after. I wanted more of an emerald green that would be deep in color without hiding any color variations or curl in the wood. I think this time I got what I was after but once again am asking for everyone’s opinion. So, please let me know if you like the effect or not and if possible – explain why so that we can all learn from this experiment!

Southwest Style Green Maple HF v1.JPG Southwest Style Green Maple HF v2.JPG Southwest Style Green Maple HF v3.JPG Southwest Style Green Maple HF v4.JPG Southwest Style Green Maple HF v5.jpg

Southwest style maple hollow form with a few cracks, a knot, some color variations and lots of curl. It is 6 ¼” diameter x 3” high and was sanded to 320 grit. It was dyed using RIT Kelly Green powdered clothing dye mixed with (DNA) denatured alcohol. It has 3 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly and I plan on giving it at least 2 – 3 more coats before allowing it to dry and then buffing.

As always, your opinions, critiques and comments are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Sweet piece of wood, and you nailed the form on this one Steve (as usual). I'm warming up to the green, but I still think a darker shade would appeal to my tastes a bit more. It's a fine line between being dark enough and covering up the wood's figure, so I understand stopping at the point where you did.

Vaughn - I appreciate the compliment on the form! As stated this is just another experiment in color. Personally, I like the dark side of the HF better - when it comes to the color. What I would really like is to be able to get some of the colors that Joe Landon gets - over on WOW. His work has really got me to thinking about how I might be able to use color to enhance a form as opposed to just coloring it. I will be the first to admit.... I have a lot to learn!

Vaughn - I appreciate the compliment on the form! As stated this is just another experiment in color. Personally, I like the dark side of the HF better - when it comes to the color. What I would really like is to be able to get some of the colors that Joe Landon gets - over on WOW. His work has really got me to thinking about how I might be able to use color to enhance a form as opposed to just coloring it. I will be the first to admit.... I have a lot to learn!

I'm with you on the darker side of this piece. The middle pic is my favorite. And I agree with you about Joe's work. :thumb: