Building a cyclone to fit my needs

Loml surprised me today and said I could buy some more pipe. So off to the big blue box store we went and I got 25' of 6" pipe, 3 more 6" 90's and a 6" round to 4" x 12" rectangle for the surface planer.

I got a little fancyy with the supports for the pipe. I figured a full round hanging bracket would stiffen the pipe so I wouldn't have any problems. I still need to tape the joints and secure the 6" pipe under the tablesaw.
7-5-09 001 (800 x 600).jpg

7-5-09 002 (600 x 800).jpg

7-5-09 003 (800 x 600).jpg

7-5-09 004 (600 x 800).jpg

7-5-09 005 (800 x 600).jpg
I'm still undecided as to how I'm going to run the dust collection ductwork for the router extention wing on the saw. I think I'm going to run one 4" duct off the 6" pipe under the saw and a 4" flex from above to the router fence.

. I still need to tape the joints and secure the 6" pipe under the tablesaw.

where are you attaching a six inch pipe to under that saw? Is that a ridgid?
ARe you building an enclosure for the entire bottom?

. I still need to tape the joints and secure the 6" pipe under the tablesaw.

where are you attaching a six inch pipe to under that saw? Is that a ridgid?
ARe you building an enclosure for the entire bottom?

Allen go back to post #58 and look at the last 3 pictures. Yes it is a ridgid 3650 table saw. I took the legs off and cut a piece of 3/16" masonite the same size as the upper half of the saw and bolted it inbetween.

Looking real good!

I wonder if there is a story surrounding the axle hanging from the wall....:huh: :dunno:

Stu that axle fits my 1974 chey pickup. I bought it about 4 years ago because when I went to change the rear end ratio the axles were shot and so was the carrier. Couldn't find anyone that sold axles or a carrier for my truck late on a saturday except a junkyard. Needless to say I decided it was a good Idea to keep it just in case and 2 weeks ago it paid off when the ring gear broke a tooth off and put a hole in the cover and spit all the lube out. Thats the reason I had to switch to snaplock instead of spiral ductwork. All told I have only spent about $120 for everything in my last 2 post on the ductwork.:thumb:

I tried it out by just connecting the 25' piece of flex to the tablesaw to the wye next to the a/c and couldn't believe at the amont of suction thru all that flex. It's just amazing. Wonder if the 16" impellar has anything to do with it?

You may know this already, but the impeller diameter is proportional to the amount of static pressure that it can draw. This is precisely what you need for good source capture, since the high static pressure means greater velocity in smaller ducts.

There is a hidden danger though: I once had a garage full of 26 ga. ductwork. A friend gave me a surplus blower that had a close to 20" radial fan on it. After hooking it up, I got to witness the collapse of my entire duct system!

Today was a very productive day. I changed the jointer from 4" to a 6" connection. Man what a difference!:thumb:
7-11-09 005 (800 x 600).jpg
Then I went ahead and finished attaching the ductwork to the tablesaw. When I tested it out I couldn't believe how well it worked. I only had a couple of splinters left on top of the saw from cutting some old dried out plywood.
7-11-09 004 (800 x 600).jpg
Next was the surface planer and that required a little more thought. I bought a premade transition and modified it to work.
7-11-09 008 (800 x 600).jpg
The holes that you see in the 6" opening are for some makeup air that I drilled because the suction was so great it started to sound like an air raid siren.:eek:. Drilling the holes helped out alot. The suction is just amazing. I couldn't get it to spit out any chips while planing some wood.:D
7-11-09 006 (800 x 600).jpg
Here is a picture with the flex hose connected. I'm very satisfied with what I have foe the money that I spent. I just wish I did this when I built the shop back in 2007.
7-11-09 007 (800 x 600).jpg
My next project is making a hood for the scms and connecting the router to the system. I will probably use 2 4" hoses for the router table. One above and one below.

Thanks Ed. Couldn't have done it without your help on the blower housing.

I'm totaly amazed at how well this works. I planed some 12" wide boards and would always get chips collecting in the in and out feed tables of the surface planer but with the new hood switched over to 6" I don't have a single chip left on the machine. Same with the jointer and the tablesaw. Life is so much more enjoyable in the shop now.

Yes I do have 8" duct running right by the scms. I think I'll cut another tap into it and use 2 6" pickups.:thumb:

The best part about all this is that I came away with some new skills and a better understanding of dust collection. There's no comparison between the old bag dust collector and the cyclone. Even loml says she can tell a difference. It also works great as an air cleaner also just by letting it run with a couple of blast gates open.