Whale Bone

Les Elm

Sedona with Black Titanium Plating.
Sanded to 400 grit, buffed with super fine steel wool
and polished with Hut Ultra Gloss.

As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Les

Attachments

• DSC06858 (Medium).JPG
    DSC06858 (Medium).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC06861 (Medium).JPG
    DSC06861 (Medium).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Sedona Black Titanium and Whale Bone (Medium).JPG
    Sedona Black Titanium and Whale Bone (Medium).JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Black Titanium Sedona with Whale Bone (Medium).JPG
    Black Titanium Sedona with Whale Bone (Medium).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 38
Whale bone

:huh: Isn't there restrictions in using whale products, i.e. importing and selling .
I was given some from a friend and was wondering what I could make with it. The piece you have in the second pics seems very porous. How did you solidify the bone?:dunno:

Great-looking pen, Les, and the pics show it off nicely, too. :thumb: Was the bone stabilized or did it just sand down that solid?

:huh: Isn't there restrictions in using whale products, i.e. importing and selling .
I was given some from a friend and was wondering what I could make with it. The piece you have in the second pics seems very porous. How did you solidify the bone?:dunno:

John,

I think your instincts are right. Not to get picky, but a quick reading of the Marine Mammals Protection Act of 1972 makes it pretty clear one can't import, export, or sell any "piece". Looks like mere possession is not illegal, but I may be missing something. Exceptions are made for Inuit artwork. Similar laws exist in New Zealand and Canada, but I'm afraid I don't have time right now to browse the entire Canadian Fisheries Act for the relevant section http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-14/SOR-93-56/index.html

Best guess, after limited research: if it's given away as a gift, all is copacetic. Selling it may get iffy. Selling it across borders is likely going to lead to some small unhappiness... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I understand it is not Canada, but, in Alaska, natives can make jewelry or other artistic items from whale, and other animal parts, and sell them. But they cannot sell, or even give away raw items. I have a grizzly bear claw on a leather thong with two plain bone beads. This qualifies as 'artistic' or jewelry. Same with another necklace that is polar bear.

Not a problem selling Whale Bone within Canada.
Canada left the IWC in 1982 and as such is not bound by the moratorium on whaling.

In Canada, it is illegal to export to or import from the USA any art or artifact created from a marine mammal, including whalebone, walrus tusks (ivory) and narwhal tusks (also ivory). Caribou antler does not fall into this category and has no restrictions.

The pieces of the whale bone I have is porous on the surface and is very solid on the interior once turned down.