General 490 bandsaw

Peter Rideout

Hello everyone
It's a awhile since I posted. Busy with work, repairs/restorations, lambing and a million other things. Still haven't rinsed the kayaks off this spring though. Must have some mis-placed priorities!

The exciting news is, an old General 490 fell into my truck recently, in exchange for helping a friend with a job this summer. It needs some work, new paint, tires etc. The biggest problem is there's no stand, just a home-built bench made of 2x6's that just won't do. I can get a new stand from General, but they're pricey, and as this is likely to be a fall and winter restoration job, I have time to take a look around first. I know it's a slim chance, but maybe someone in eastern Canada or the US northeast has one. I think it's the General 4990 enclosed stand I'd be looking for.
Any tips along those lines would be appreciated.

I've been reading the OWWM site with great interest, by the way, but didn't want to just stick my nose in there and immediately ask for a favour!

Thanks and best regards
Peter

Well, of course, without pics, it's just a fairy tale.
Best of luck on the stand hunt. You might find one, but you might start thinking about how best to build one though.
paulh

Dad and I built a stand for his 1940's Delta BS. Customized the height (he's a bit shorter than me) and added drawers to store all that BS stuff. You might think about doing that if you are not going for a historical restoration on the tool. I'd show a pic of the stand but, I haven't seen the BS pics yet, so . . . . :D Actually I don't have one here, I'll dig one up.

Thank you for the replies guys, and the subtle questioning of the event!
Here's the proof, although disassembled for inspection and restoration.
I hope this works, I haven't tried to post a picture since the procedure changed a while back.

I have a quote of $440 + tax for a new stand from General. I'd still like to see a pic of the one you and your Dad built Glenn, although I'm leaning toward a factory stand.

Best regards
Peter

Attachments

• General 490 disassembled.jpg
    General 490 disassembled.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 61
Peter,

It would not be a big job to make a copy of the factory stand out of wood. I can get you closeup pictures & sizes if that would help. The 490 is a very nice band saw.

100_0257.jpg

Thank you Chris, that would be great. Some pics and dimensions of the motor setup within the stand would be really helpful too. Fabricating a steel stand locally is also an option. I don't do much metal work, but there's a good shop in the next village that could do this if I had the specs.

You've got a nice shop there. It looks really bright and spacious. Is that a new 490 you have there, or a restored one? It looks like new from here.

Regards
Peter