wood ID needed???

larry merlau

i ran across some differnt wood this afternoon, i have an idea but i am not sure so am sending it out to the wood gurus on here to help in identifying it..
what made me turn aropund to gop back and look was the fact that there was several of these boards standing up next to a building, as i drove past my first thought was it was walnut,, it appeared to be real brown.. as i got closer i could see it wasnt walnut and the grain was right either.. i asked the owner what it was and he doesnt know what it is either when he cut it ,,he thought he was cuttin cherry.. from the way the bark looked wel its not cherry and the bark what ittle i could find on it was a real coarse bark.. so here are the pics for you to tell me what it is..

IMG_1156tn_.jpg

IMG_1157tn_.jpg

IMG_1158tn_.jpg

frank. your eyes are gettin dirty you need to wash them again:D

this is yellow all day long even after its sanded its yelo.

the grain does look like ash, i will give you that one thou..

I don't nkow how about sassafras?:dunno::huh:

alan yu surprized me:) i had yu figured for a wood guru,, sassafras does have a similair grian structure but is light as feather and smell great.. this has no odor and is meduim heavy and hard. also sassafras is real soft too..:D

i will wait for some more ideas then i will tell you what i think it is.. its native to michigan so that may narrow it down for you folks. this tree was approximatly 18" and fiarly straight according the owner that cut it..

Sure looks like a piece of Ash to me, too. At first I thought it was a little "fine" but I've seen some pretty coarse stuff as well as fine so that's where I'd lay my money down. :)

White Walnut ?

Also known as Butternut. The color is right, grain is right. I you say it it medium heavy then the density is probably right. Easily found in your area. Dying off due to a disease. Real nice wood if it is.

Not Sassafras, not Ash, nor Butternut, but perhaps Cyprus/ Yellow, turns brown, grainy, How about density and hardness? Or smell? Consider Osage Orange but it is real heavy, hard and seldom comes in long boards. Yellow Locust (kind they make fence posts from) just came to mind, rough bark, turns brown with age, etc.

Last edited:
Not Sassafras, not Ash, nor Butternut, but perhaps Cyprus/ Yellow, turns brown, grainy, How about density and hardness? Or smell? Consider Osage Orange but it is real heavy, hard and seldom comes in long boards. Yellow Locust (kind they make fence posts from) just came to mind, rough bark, turns brown with age, etc.
i dont think its cypress becasue it grew in michigan,, and i was leaning towards osage myslef but i havnt seen any that big and tis looked to be straight for at least 8ft, which is very uncommon for osage.. this stuff is hard and has no smell to me anyway i sanded as pot to get a fresh taste and got nothing,, is osage kinda sticky feeling when only dried down to around 12%?

Hi Larry

I found out what my wood was and thought yours looked similar.

Here is a link to good pictures of Osage orange

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/osage orange.htm

Take a look, solved my problem.
will take a look rob,, bt that is what i thought it was,,, but wanted the gurus to help me out!

Looks like osage to me too. I've seen some very tall and straight osage (hedge here in IA) before, although most of it is kinda twisted all around.