For Chuck T

Don Orr

These are the 1st 2 cannon for the Onrust. I am making the ramrods and tampions (plugs) for them. They will go on the ship soon for the festivities in NYC in early June.

Attachments

• Onrust Cannon.jpg
    Onrust Cannon.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45
are they planning on touching them off every now and then? if so, they may want to check dixie gun works, as they carry a good supply of cannon accoutrements (worms, swabs, etc). my cousin has one a bit smaller, and made out of high tensile steel. he usually uses about 100 grains of 2x black powder in a cartridge, with about 6" of wadding to make up a blank to shoot. (he lives way out in the country, not too many neighbors, and its a 4th of july thing). impressive bang, and enough smoke to make anyone happy.:D:thumb:

I think our gun captain has things pretty well under control so far. He has sources for materials and such. We are trying to make most of the tools ourselves. The sponge will go on the opposite end of the rammer I made. Someone else is making the wormer. We will be making our own fuses and cartidges. These cannon are cast with a heavy steel liner for stregnth even though they are sold as "lawn ornaments" for legal reasons. They were cast somewhere near here but I cant remember the name. This area has a long history of Revolutionary War battles and re-enactments so cannons are somewhat common. It should make a great big BANG and a lot of smoke. :thumb: