Sam Maloof Passed Away

Alex Reid

I was just watching a video of this great man the other day thinking how wonderful it is that he is still woodworking. His legacy will inspire many.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_webmaloof.297bb99.html

Renowned woodworker Sam Maloof dies

02:44 PM PDT on Friday, May 22, 2009

The Press-Enterprise

Sam Maloof, 1916-2009

Sam Maloof, one of the 20th century's most influential woodworkers, died Thursday evening at his home in Rancho Cucamonga, said Roz Bock, his longtime business manager. Maloof was 93.

A native of Chino, Maloof gained fame in the 1950s with his distinctive furniture designs born out of a need to furnish his own home. Although he exhibited internationally, he remained a resident of the area. His home in Rancho Cucamonga was hand built.

"What a tremendous loss," said Daniel Foster, president and CEO of the Community Foundation of Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Foster was director of the Riverside Art Museum when he got to know Maloof.

2008 / Stan Lim / The Press-Enterprise
Master woodworker Sam Maloof, seen above in Jan. 2008, has had his work displayed in major museums across the country including the Smithsonian.
"Its hard to imagine that he's gone," he said. "It's only a few months since I saw him and his mind was alive with wonderful ideas for projects for the future. It's a great loss nationally."

Maloof's work is part of the collections of major museums such as New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Smithsonian Institution, which hosted a retrospective of his work in 2001.

His signature rocking chairs sold for $25,000 and more.

President Jimmy Carter once called Maloof a national treasure.

--Mark Muckenfuss

ARCHIVE

Sam Maloof's furniture-making legacy is honored (April 25, 2009)

Sam Maloof, Rancho Cucamonga woodworker, to be honored (Aug. 20, 2008)

Board Chair Man (Jan. 26, 2008)

Video: Master woodworker Sam Maloof exhibit opens (Jan. 26, 2008)

Wood fuels Alta Loma craftsman's passion (May 25, 2007)

ON THE WEB

YouTube: Tour the Maloof home

The Maloof Foundation

NPR profile

Maloof on Maloof

Maloof on design

Book Profile: Sam Maloof/Woodworker

Book Profile: The Furniture of Sam Maloof

Yep, real sad news. Rennie posted another thread about it here, but some folks don't go to the OT area, so they might have missed it.

I thought of merging the two threads, but like I said, I suspect some will miss it in the OT area. It's not like it's gonna clog up the Internet having two threads. ;)