foot stool completed! part 1

Dan Noren

Staff member
well kids, busy day today. i finished the shellacing of the foot stool parts, and gave them a nice coat of johnson paste wax (oh so shiny!), and moved on to making the cushion. as you can see in the pics, i had made a frame for the cushion, for this its 1/2" plywood. the foam cushion is 2". i added a piece of batting at the top for a little extra height at the top. then i flip the whole works over onto a piece of batting, and starting on one side at the middle, staple it to the frame. then i turn it to the other side, and stretch the batting, and staple it down. this has the effect of drawing the upper edges down. then i staple the rest of both sides. then i do the same thing for the short sides, and fold over the corners and staple to the frame. then i trim the edges, and you can see the cushion so far, once i flip it on it's bottom. i then repeat the process with the covering fabric. once this is done, i add a bit of black fabric to the bottom to, as monty python once said, to hide the bits you don't want seen (such as the frame, cushion, and on larger cushions, the webbing). i then assembled the frame, and added the cushion to it. so far, its 3 major projects done, 2 to go... :D

sorry, more pics than space per post... :doh:

Attachments

• 01 foot stool parts.jpg
    01 foot stool parts.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 41
  • 10 making cushion f.JPG
    10 making cushion f.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 09 making cushion e.JPG
    09 making cushion e.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 28
  • 08 making cushion d.JPG
    08 making cushion d.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 07 making cushion c.JPG
    07 making cushion c.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 06 making cushion b.JPG
    06 making cushion b.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 05 making cushion a.JPG
    05 making cushion a.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 04 cushion parts.JPG
    04 cushion parts.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 03 parts shellaced.JPG
    03 parts shellaced.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 02 parts blo.JPG
    02 parts blo.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 37
foot stool completed! part 2

the rest of the pics...

Attachments

• 16 frame assembled.JPG
    16 frame assembled.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 15 making cushion k.JPG
    15 making cushion k.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 14 making cushion j.JPG
    14 making cushion j.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 13 making cushion i.JPG
    13 making cushion i.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 12 making cushion h.JPG
    12 making cushion h.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 11 making cushion g.JPG
    11 making cushion g.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 16 finished foot stool.JPG
    16 finished foot stool.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 53
i'd love to chris, but i have to set it aside until after the fair. even then its spoken for. my wife decided to send it to my sis in law's sister and her husband as a wedding present. :eek:

thats a pretty piece dan, and as soon as your wife sees you set it down next to her pocketbook to dry, you better inflate the air mattress.

I might have missed it somewhere, how did you cut those slots on the upper rails? hand held router? table?

thanks allan and mark! there wasn't much choice in the fabric, its the same one we used when my wife had me re-do all the cushions on the couch and morris chairs. she picked it out, i did the work... :rofl: