table top finish

so what would your methods be for applying the poly to look like lacquer?

give us the start to finish that you suggest on a cherry piece of furniture that will see some wear and tear. please,, & THANK YOU:):thumb:

I like to use Wipe-on Poly (or regular poly but the secret is the wipe on application) I use a folded pad of Tee Shirt material, A thin wet wipe and don't touchup allow to dry overnight scuff with 300-400 paper with the grain. Wipe dust off with Microfiber cloth (ShamWow) Re apply as many times as you deem necessary. (I usually do 3-4, More with Wipe-on product and less with regular poly)

Always use Gloss Poly (never the satin finish as the additives that defuse the light build up and it gets duller) When completely satisfied there is enough layers then rub down with Pumice and Mineral oil, Not much, just lightly to remove all nibs and dust. Next rub with Rottenstone and Mineral oil to bring the rich luster that Lacquer provides.

On problem with poly is that WE (I say we because I am guilty too) over work it. Poly goes through stages in the curing, goes on wet, looks great but then as it offgasses, tiny bubbles appear making the surface look like it was skipped (this is where we mess up) resist the temptation to re apply as it is a natural occurance, as it cures it will float out the bubbles and harden to a smooth shiny surface. If you touch up those places you trap the bubbles under a new layer and it is most difficult to correct.

That is what I do, If I want a satin finish I rub down with Pumice or gloss I use Rottenstone. You can regulate how much by how much you rub,

if you use regular poly, do you cut it with anything, if so, how much volume to volume?
(Ive been cutting regular poly around 55%-60% polyurethane, and the rest mineral spirits, 5-6 coats usually gives me a nice sheen)

We do our hand rubs very similar to Bills method but I like Minwax Tung oil instead. Light sand between each coat. We rub out with comit and paint thinner with the white synthetic pad and buff with 0000 liberon and wax.