YA GOTTA LOVE EM'

I don't know if this is something that I should post, or if anyone would even find it interesting, but after yesterday I have to share it with someone.

About a year and a half ago I made my son a poker table. I'm in Montana and he's in Denver. So I delivered it to him, he smiled, hugged me and told me how proud he was.

That night my wife told me how much he liked it, but said the the holes for the cup holders were smaller than he wanted and thought if he said anything I may be offended. My answer was to bad i can't enlarge them.

When we returned to Montana, my wife asked me if i ever read all the wood working magazines I subscribe to. Then she produced a magazine that had an advertisement for the Starret Oops Arbor. A hole saw arbor that allows you to use two different size hole saws at the same time. I returned to Colorado and enlarged the cup holders

Two weeks ago she was in my shop as I was cleaning up and throwing trash in the trash can. She noticed several sleeves from my spindel sander. She questioned why I was throwing them away when 1/3 of the spindle was not used , the section in the center. I explained why and she goes in the house, brings out another magazine
and shows me an article on how to take MDF or plywood piece the size of the sander table, cut a center hole for the spindle and raise the stock to the unused area of the spindel.

Yesterday we went to Home Depot to buy a new battery for my drill. It was 7 years old and would no longer hold a charge. I took the old battery with me, found a replacement. I asked the clerk how much, he said 89.00, he went to get one from the stockroom.

My wife than and pointed at a sign that said " Lifetime replacement on all batteries" I tried to explain that mine was 7 years old and that it didn't apply when I bought mine. She pointed it out to the clerk, his answer was "Your right" NO CHARGE!

Believe me, from this point, I have a question or a problem I'm going to my wife and ask if she's seen anything in my magazines that will help me.

Jiggs Elphison

I was a firm believer in marrying someone smarter than me. :rolleyes:

Of course she's not totally perfect, after all I pulled the wool over her eyes long enough to get the ring on her finger. :rofl:

You're a fortunate man. ;)

My wife wouldn't know a hole saw from a spindle sander sleeve, let alone read an article about either of 'em. :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!! been there, done that.

we are working on 22 years, i stopped thinking 20 years ago. If its important she will let me know.

Jiggs, thanks for sharing that, made me laugh out loud! :thumb:

Like my lovely wife Emiko, when I was explaining about how great the SawStop is, and the capital I'd built up in the first Aparto reno, she said "Well then, why not just buy the SawStop and be done with it....?" :D

Yep, you just got to love them! :clap:

excellent jiggs,, i firmly believe that behind all great men are the women that made them that way, either in support or know more than they did.. yup she is standing over my shoulder:rofl: actually though mine has made some pretty good choices and made me rethink my thoughts in the nick of time.:thumb:

Gee Jiggs,

WOW - what an AWESOME wife you have.

Sometimes my wife looks through my magazines, but she doesn't recognise the stuff like that.

I like the one about the spindle sander thing - boy does that make sense.

Does your wife do any woodworking with you? She should.

Well I really glad I posted the story of my wife's help. I shared your comments with her, and she was really pleased. She doesn't do wood work, but she paints anything I make that requires painting. In fact she will not let me paint any room in the house. We've been married for 49 years and she has always painted the house inside, she says I make to big of a mess.

Now here is a true story where I almost screwed up.

I'm spoiled, if I want a tool or wood, or any other toy I buy it . No arguments, no explanation.

My wife makes carrot cakes at xmas. Last year she made exactly 100. They're small, approx 10" long x 8" wide x 5" thick. Anyway she puts chopped walnuts in them.

Well last year I came home and there was a new appliance on the counter. I asked what it was and was told it was a small food processor to chopped walnuts with and it costs 50.00.

I said we have a drawer full of knifes, do we really need a 50.00 food processor to chop walnuts?

Surprisingly her response was "I guess not, I haven't used it yet, I'll take it back to Wal-Mart".

She started to put it in the box and as she was doing so she said, "by the way do we really need a planer, a new table saw ( I had just purchased a new Steel City ), two miter saws, a new band saw ( i had just purchased a 17" Grizzly ) and at least six routers, plus all the other things you have in your shop?"

My answer was, " honey, what I meant was do we need a 50.00 food processor to chop walnuts, or should we buy a better one that will let you do more things with it"

She smiled, kissed me and said thank you.

We knew each other for 30 days before we married. in 49 years we have NEVER had a knock down, screaming argument, in fact we rarely disagree. As i said I'm spoiled. I'm also the proud owner of 325.00 food processor.

Jiggs Elphison