Incra LS System & Incra Original Jig

Stuart Ablett

I got a box in the mail today, I guess the guys down at Japanese Customs did not want a look inside this one :D :thumb:

incra_ls_system1.jpg incra_ls_system2.jpg

I've watched the DVD for the original Jig and am quite impressed with it, I can only imagine how amazing the full LS system is :thumb:

When I finally get around to installing these tools and using them, I'll put up a full review! :wave:

I've watched the two DVDs that came with, boy am I impressed, these look like top drawer tools, and once you get past the learning curve (yes, there is one!) I'm sure they will be fine additions to the Dungeon.

I unpacked everything, boy is there a LOT of parts! :eek:
incra_ls_system_parts.JPG
but, the instruction manual, and the DVD are very well done and explain things in such a way to make it a real step by step process to set things up.

Everything is so very adjustable, which I like, as I can tailor it to my needs.

I got the 25" system, which is HUGE, really, I should have only got the 19" system, I do think this is way overkill for me, but the price difference was only about $30, IIRC, so I figured what the hey :dunno:

incra_ls_system_placement_1.JPG incra_ls_system_placement_2.JPG incra_ls_system_placement_3.JPG incra_ls_system_placement_4.JPG
Next up was placement on the table, this was going to be a hard choice. If I was to drill holes and put inserts into my extension table, I did not wish to do this twice, but the longer system actually put the guide unit on the cast iron table of my SawStop :huh: I thought about drilling and taping holes in my SawStop.......... for about 10 seconds :doh:

I did try the magnet option that Alex suggested, but the long arm of this unit being pushed easily over came the magnets, three of them, so I gave that up.

I decided that I start with just a board clamped to the table, and she how that works...........

incra_ls_system_mounted_1.JPG incra_ls_system_mounted_2.JPG incra_ls_system_mounted_3.JPG incra_ls_system_mounted_4.JPG
So far it looks like it is working well! :thumb:

Cheers!

(Read in a Jim Carey plays the Joker voice) Now that's impressive! Seriously Stu, that setup is suh-weet. I dig your "pads" for your hold downs too. What a great rig.

Thats definitely one sweet fence system:thumb:. I'm going to ask the 64 dollar question. Hows the dust collection working on the router and the saw? Is it sufficient or do you see a need to change something?

(Read in a Jim Carey plays the Joker voice) Now that's impressive! Seriously Stu, that setup is suh-weet. I dig your "pads" for your hold downs too. What a great rig.

Thanks Glenn, the only problem is, once you see how well made this Incra stuff is, you find yourself looking at all the other cools stuff they make :D

At the very least, I'm going to be getting some inch rulers etc, as the LS stuff is all in inches, and all of my measuring sticks are them funny metric number things:rolleyes: :D

The pads on the holdfasts are an idea from the book ......

Workbenches: From Design And Theory To Construction And Use-by Christopher Schwarz

....... which is the one workbench book you should own, or at least check out of the library for a good read. :D Well worth the $20 price tag :thumb:

Thats definitely one sweet fence system:thumb:. I'm going to ask the 64 dollar question. Hows the dust collection working on the router and the saw? Is it sufficient or do you see a need to change something?

Not sure yet, this one is the furthest away down the smaller pipe from the cyclone, but I will say, in the one small round over I did, there was no dust at all on top of the table, and I don't have the Wonder Fence" DC hooked up yet. There was no dust left in the box, well a few chips in the corners, but that seems standard on all of these boxes.

Seems to work OK, but honestly, I've not used it enough yet. The blast gates all slide nicely :D

Cheers!

Hey I got the same box on my bench now :D. Very nice indeed. I don't see the wonder fence in your pics though Stu. I recommend it. It has a high fence for tall boards, vacuum attachment and an offset adjustment, which allows you to use the router as a fine adjust jointer that will give you no-see-um-glue-joint edges right off the table. :thumb: Have fun dude. :thumb:

You need to get your eyes checked Alex :D

Look at the second set of pics, you will see the wonder fence, I've just not attached the High Rise thing, yet.

How are you attaching your set up?

Cheers!

Your router table/bench/table saw/router table is taking a such a unique configuration. The way you've had to twist your thoughts and ideas on what would or wouldn't work in your dungeon keep bringing me back to your posts to check out your latest solutions.

I have a suggestion for your router fence mounting board. Make the board wide enough to reach the miter gauge slot and glue a tight fitting runner to the bottom of it. This should make for a repeatable mounting alignment index. Now if you plan on using the table saw at the same time it might be to close for comfort though.

Cheers.

You need to get your eyes checked Alex :D

Look at the second set of pics, you will see the wonder fence, I've just not attached the High Rise thing, yet.

How are you attaching your set up?

Cheers!

Oh I see. Sometimes the pics take so long to load I move on to the next. Yeah you're gonna like using that. I haven't even got mine out of the box yet. I had to finish the kitchen cabinets first. But I just got the first stage (upper cabinets with doors) done two days ago. I have been holding off as I'm a little undecided about going with a full router table or installing it in the new TS. Ironically the impetus for going Incra was the new TS but now I'm thinking I will make a dedicated router table I can roll around. Still wavering.

Another item I bought which I highly recommend is a miter gauge for your Saw Stop. I bought the Miter 300SE. I have an Osborne miter gauge but there were a couple of things that bothered me about it most of which was the play on the sliding stop block - even the smallest amount bugs me:eek:. Most often I would clamp a block and be done with it. Another was using a sacrificial fence; with the the Osborne it was not possible. The Incra 300SE completely solved those problems and does it five star. I also got a miter V27 for my bandsaw or whatever the need is at the moment.

Love their stuff.

Oh I see. Sometimes the pics take so long to load I move on to the next. Yeah you're gonna like using that. I haven't even got mine out of the box yet. I had to finish the kitchen cabinets first. But I just got the first stage (upper cabinets with doors) done two days ago. I have been holding off as I'm a little undecided about going with a full router table or installing it in the new TS. Ironically the impetus for going Incra was the new TS but now I'm thinking I will make a dedicated router table I can roll around. Still wavering.

Another item I bought which I highly recommend is a miter gauge for your Saw Stop. I bought the Miter 300SE. I have an Osborne miter gauge but there were a couple of things that bothered me about it most of which was the play on the sliding stop block - even the smallest amount bugs me:eek:. Most often I would clamp a block and be done with it. Another was using a sacrificial fence; with the the Osborne it was not possible. The Incra 300SE completely solved those problems and does it five star. I also got a miter V27 for my bandsaw or whatever the need is at the moment.

Love their stuff.

The pic loading thing affects me too, what I do is click next all the way through the pics, and then when the "First" comes up the pics will all appear in order.

The Miter 300SE is on my short list when the budget allows :thumb:

Your router table/bench/table saw/router table is taking a such a unique configuration. The way you've had to twist your thoughts and ideas on what would or wouldn't work in your dungeon keep bringing me back to your posts to check out your latest solutions.

I have a suggestion for your router fence mounting board. Make the board wide enough to reach the miter gauge slot and glue a tight fitting runner to the bottom of it. This should make for a repeatable mounting alignment index. Now if you plan on using the table saw at the same time it might be to close for comfort though.

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words Dan!

I had thought of the mitre slot, but the edge of the table and the saw extension make a good enough repeatable mark, I think :dunno:

Cheers!

Hey Stu,

I know I may have missed something (as usual) but thought I'd toss something into the mix. My brother has the same Incra kit and has his router in similar location to what yours is next to the TS. I think he might have the 19" Incra but I'm not positive. Anyways, he was showing me his cool setup for his router table and I asked him why he didn't just use the same Incra fence as his primary for his Delta TS. Since he had the mounting point about half way between the router opening and the TS blade it seemed to be a no brainer to me. Now he's using the Incra double-time and loving it. Perhaps you and Alex both already had this in mind, which just puts me a day late and a dollar short, again. <grin>

Hope all is well in Japan.

Lee

Stu, along the lines of what Lee suggested, ya know one solution to mounting the LS on the table would be the Incra rails on the saw. ;) :D But then again, you've already got other things attached to your steel Bies-style rails, huh?

Hey Stu,

I know I may have missed something (as usual) but thought I'd toss something into the mix. My brother has the same Incra kit and has his router in similar location to what yours is next to the TS. I think he might have the 19" Incra but I'm not positive. Anyways, he was showing me his cool setup for his router table and I asked him why he didn't just use the same Incra fence as his primary for his Delta TS. Since he had the mounting point about half way between the router opening and the TS blade it seemed to be a no brainer to me. Now he's using the Incra double-time and loving it. Perhaps you and Alex both already had this in mind, which just puts me a day late and a dollar short, again. <grin>

Hope all is well in Japan.

Lee

I was also thinking the same. I think though if you went this route with the block in the middle you would end up compromising the rip capacity of the TS. The closer you move the block to the router center you compromise the capacity of the router table. I think a breakdown solution is the best.

You know, even though my brother had his attached directly to his router table, depending on how much room there is between the router opening and the TS blade, perhaps you could come up with an indexing system. With this maybe the mounting portion of the system could move, allowing additional ripping capacity when needed. I guess I'm thinking it would be like having the Incra capabilty squared. Just kind of thinking out loud, have an Incra type setup whose sole purpose is to position a piece of material that has the mounting portion of the second Incra setup which is what controls the actual fence. Hope that makes sense. Just seems it could open up the posibilities, maybe more so for those that have the fixed router/TS combe setup.

Thoughts?

Lee