Walnut Logs

WooHoo. One of the guys I work with went to Missouri to see his brother, mom and dad. He asked me on his way out the door if I would like some walnut wood. I said sure that would be great. Boy was I surprised when he showed up. I couldn't believe my eyes. He brought 5 logs all over 6 ft long and the smallest is about 12 1/2" with the largest being 18" in diameter. The tree came down in a storm last week so he brought me the trunk which was 27 1/2' long. I figure there are about 35 to 40 bowls unless I use some of the smaller one for HF's. The big one weighs somewhere between 200 and 300 lbs. Got the ends waxed. So guess I will cut them into blanks this weekend if I can lift them. The neighbor said I could use his arm lift. Oh what a problem to have.:D

Attachments

• Walnut Logs 1.jpg
    Walnut Logs 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Walnut Logs 2.jpg
    Walnut Logs 2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Walnut Logs 3.jpg
    Walnut Logs 3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Walnut Logs 4.jpg
    Walnut Logs 4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Walnut Logs 5.jpg
    Walnut Logs 5.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 22
Bernie, good thing you live halfway across the country from me. Otherwise "Honest Vaughn's Midnight Log Removal Service" might be showing up in your neighborhood. :D

Congrats on the haul. I see some walnut NE bowls in your future. ;)

living in SW Missouri I can say that it was a very destructive storm. We had winds over 90 mph which did do tremendous tree damage.. So I am glad that a few people are getting to use the otherwise wasted trees... Good for the tree service people and wood turners...

Boy Bernie, that really is too bad, all that lousy Walnut to contend with........... you must be getting sick and tired of all that Walnut by now.......:rolleyes:

Yeah right :D

Great haul, and a great friend too! :thumb:

Thanks everyone. Frank I am going to cut most of it into bowl blanks. Some I am going to cut for HF's. I was painting the ends last night and the walnut aroma was just awesome.

Paul that is what this kid told me. He said tree's were down everywhere.

Vaughn you would have to get by my buddy. Now you would probably be ok if you sent the wife in. He is funny in that he won't let a man in the yard but women it's ok.:eek:

Bernie,
Nice Haul... looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
I had a lady stop at my booth first of the month and tell me she had some walnut logs I could have if I wanted them....just give her a call... I've called twice and got answering machine both times... she hasn't called back... can't try again until after we get back from Illinois on Monday night, but I'll be calling her on Tuesday.