another log question??(calling Alex!)

larry merlau

this is kinda headed towards alex,, i have a possible large walnut crotch coming my way, i mean large!!! its 38" at the small end and the crotch spans at least 60" the two limbs were 20" limbs. so my question is. do i trim the limbs off to a manageable size or do i leave it full width.. it would be much easier to cut if i trimmed back the limbs and keep the crotch area in the center of the slab. which means the limbs would probally be trimmed back to around 45".. so you sawyers out there what say yee?

Last edited:
john this thing is huge!!! and i cant only get a 45 maybe threw the mill i use.. so just fer grins what would a crotch slab of this size bring in this days low pricing? i know i would love to see this crotch if at all possible and if i understand it right i could get more than just the center on this thing as crotch materail but the center would be the best.. how long do i leave it for the crotch section?

Hi John and Larry

Just a thought but is it possible to saw a crotch like that half way with one half on the bandsaw mill, then near the middle stop the mill and rotate the crotch that has been sawn off the mill and support it to the same level while the rest of the crotch is sawn.

Would that not be feasible given the increased value of the lumber.

I am assuming here that the resultant planks are thick and would make a nice figured say bent bar top with a great grain pattern and a lot of heft.

Just a thought.:huh: Or am i way out to lunch. I have never seen or cut lumber on a bandsaw mill.

rob you basically have a bandsaw like you have only bigger and then turned horizontal.. and the saw capacity is determined by the opening between the guides and the height it can be raised up from the carriage.. look up woodmizer for some pics of what i am describing.

Mark's idea is right on the money. I had two, a one man and a two man for many years. Sharpened right, they do cut quite quickly and don't use much gas. ;)
For the occasional project, they are just the tickey.

Yeah Larry I know what a wood miser is have seen the videos. But I still hold to my comment. The videos I saw had operator assisted rams to move the log about on the bed. I dont see why a L shaped crotch cant be man handled with some external side support to be able to cut it fully open from one end to the other provided the basic end meets the width of the bandsaw in the beginning.

If the saw aint able to start in the first place due to width then regardless of how you cut the crotch up I dont see you sawing it into boards.

I will add a sketch later of what i mean.

Hi Larry

Here is a better view of what i mean.

cutting the crotch.jpg

Just trying to think outside the box.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Of course the picture police have not had a go at you yet. This crotch is still fantasy as i see it.;):D

thats close to what i have,, only rather than the limb going one way and the trunk the other this one goes off in both directions equally:) so it should be some fantastic figure.. what does that table go for in price?