88.6 KB · Views: 48
  • finished table 3.JPG
    finished table 3.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 57
  • finished table 4.JPG
    finished table 4.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 46
Looks GREAT, Dan!

I'm in the middle of - okay beginning stages - of building my cherry coffee table. I keep getting distracted by my metal lathe or building the shed in the back yard.

Very nice!

What's the finish?

What did you use for the pegs?

jason, the finish is basically one coat of boiled linseed oil, 3 coats of amber shellac, and 2 coats of clear shellac in that order. i follow it up with johnson's paste wax.

larry, i think you may have stepped on your beard when you looked at that last pic. the light part is a reflection of the wall in the top of the table... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dont know much about shellac, you dont have to let it sit and cure for a week or so before you apply paste wax? Ive got my table sitting in my garage collecting sawdust waiting to be waxed, I let it cure for a week after last coat of poly. (but I never know exactly what Im doing anyway, but I do have fun)

nice try allen:rofl::rofl: all you need do, is spend a lot of time sanding, with an orbital sander, going from 100 through 220 grit. let's see, that's 100, 120, 150, 180, and 220. i usually go over each square inch of surface about 25 times, with and against the grain. by the time you've done that, that top is as smooth as all get out. then your choice of finish, at least 3 coats, sanding lightly by hand with 320 grit. bet you thought i was having fun, eh? :rofl::rofl: