Walnut Logs Pt 2

Well here is the beginning. I cut up 2 of the walnut logs this morning yeilding 16 blanks. I got them all anchorsealed and stored away. It got to hot (88 deg) to do much more and I need to sharpen my chain anyway. If the rest yield as these two did I should have around 40 bowl blanks. As you can see the 18" log is still waiting. I need help putting a 4 X 4 under it so I can cut it up. Will get up early and start sawing again in the morning.

Attachments

• Walnut Logs 6.jpg
    Walnut Logs 6.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Walnut Logs 7.jpg
    Walnut Logs 7.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 51
Bernie, I'm real concerned about that 18" log. It's gonna be too big of load for your wheelbarrow, and in that searing heat, it's probably much too dangerous for an older gentleman like yourself to be trying to cut it at all. I think a much safer approach would be for you to slap a UPS label on that puppy and send it out to California. We have more moderate temperatures, my wheelbarrow and chainsaw are bigger and better suited for the task, and I'm nowhere near ready to retire, whereas you are. :D

I'm just here to help. Really. :p

Well I got a little help Vaughn. I bought a log jack.:rofl::rofl:

Works slick as all get out. Sorry I think I can handle the situation now. Will get started at about 6 in the morning and should be done by noon. I hope.:eek: If not there is always the next day. Thanks for the offer to help besides I don't think either of us could afford the freight on that bad boy.:rofl::rofl:

Thanks again. Yep got them all cut yesterday by noon and anchorsealed then stacked in the shed by 2 pm. Guess it is to much sitting behind a desk on my behind:rofl: cause this morning I am moving a little slower than usual.:eek:

I went out later that evening and took the centers that I had cut out of the logs to get rid of the pith and cut 70 pen blanks along with 20 finial blanks. I dipped the ends and will let them dry for a while but should make some awful pretty pens. Cut the pen blanks slightly oversized to 1" by 6" long. The finial blanks around 1 1/2" square by 6" long.

Bernie, I'm real concerned about that 18" log. It's gonna be too big of load for your wheelbarrow, and in that searing heat, it's probably much too dangerous for an older gentleman like yourself to be trying to cut it at all. I think a much safer approach would be for you to slap a UPS label on that puppy and send it out to California. We have more moderate temperatures, my wheelbarrow and chainsaw are bigger and better suited for the task, and I'm nowhere near ready to retire, whereas you are. :D

I'm just here to help. Really. :p

hey bernie did i hear a faint cry for some chocolate wood? and if so then he needs to speak up alittle louder and maybe someone would hear him. next ? how far from the center do you cut to get rid of the pith area? in case i happened to run across some of that stuff.:rolleyes:

hey bernie did i hear a faint cry for some chocolate wood? and if so then he needs to speak up alittle louder and maybe someone would hear him. next ? how far from the center do you cut to get rid of the pith area? in case i happened to run across some of that stuff.:rolleyes:

Well Larry in case you happen to run across any of this stuff:rofl: I try to cut about 1/2" on either side of the pith. Then I use that to make pen blanks. I make sure that the pith is not in the pen blanks. Thats how I would do it in case you run across any and want to cut it up into bowl blanks and such.:rofl::rofl:

Glad to see you managed to suffer through it all, Bernie. ;)

thanks bernie but my bandsaw has a hard time cuttin circles:)that darn 1" blade doesnt turn good:)

USPS Flat Rate boxes are square. No need for cuttin' circles. :D

I'm always open to the idea of adding pretty wood to the stash, but I've got so much local wood stockpiled right now that I'm trying to use it up before spending any money on more. (Unemployment sucks. The hours are good, but the pay's not that great.) :p

yeah i know what yur talkun about, i am on 4 days now! welcome to the real world. and the deposit on cans dont make up for it:) to much competion gettun them now days:)