Glue squeeze out marks

I've been working with Mahogany and some of my joints have a little glue squeeze out. So when I put the oil on, the glue marks show. I read somewhere that denatured alcohol will take care of it, but am reluctant to try it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, DKT

Its been my experience, and Im no expert, but have used a couple hundred board feet of mahogany, sapele, and spanish cedar to build, and nothing gets rid of the glue properly unless I sanded it properly.(cleaned as much as I could during glueup)
Ive even wet down the joint after they dried with mineral spirits, and saw no glue spots, but when poly went on, the glue showed up.
I glued sandpaper to all shape and sizes pieces of wood to make sanding sticks and blocks to get into the appropiate joints.

I'm with Allen; this sort of thing needs to be taken care of before finish is applied. Hopefully someone will chime in with a fix other than a card scraper.

Yellow Glue will soften with vinegar. Use white Vinegar full strength along the stain then use a new (single sided) razor blade and scrap the surface. (much the same way as a cabinet scraper, mind the grain direction)

Years of teaching gives a lot of experience in repairing student goofs. I have used this on several occasions. It works but you may need several applications on Mahogany the open pores retains the glue especially if you wiped it off with a wet rag.

I never wipe squeezeout with a damp cloth as it will smear the mark. Wait til it is hardened and chip the bugger off with a sharp chisel. Pulls the glue out of the pores.

Allen you say...mineral spirits won't show but the poly does, that is because poly adds some amber color to the wood and is prevented from adding color by the glue MS has no color so it looks clear all over.

Last edited:
Years of teaching gives a lot of experience in repairing student goofs. I have used this on several occasions. It works but you may need several applications on Mahogany the open pores retains the glue especially if you wiped it off with a wet rag.

It was very frustrating, to wipe on a coat of poly, then have to sand joints.
Then wipe on poly, then wonder how did I miss that, and resand, then a third time.
Wiping on poly is a light coat, so it wasnt like I had a thick coat to sand down each time.
I guess if I wasnt so diligent with my wet rag when the glue was drying, I wouldnt have had so many headaches.

Im quite sure I could spend the rest of my life building things, but I could spend 5 lifetimes learning about correct finishes for all woods, and application processes other than spraying. Id chance my local ordinances and get a decent spray gun, but Im quite sure Id have shellac stuck to my cars, my house, my wife, my kids, my bbq,my jointer, my tablesaw, the squirrels running around, etc., and that might cause a bit of a problem eventually.