New turnings, *#8 and the LAST*

Finally took the time to photo what i've made recently. Rather that shotgun them all in one post, I'll show them one at at a time over the next few days (to prolong your pleasure:rolleyes:) First up is a cherry HF made from a chunk that Larry M gave me, thanks again Larry!:thumb: About 10" dia with a desert ironwood collar. I've never turned green cherry before, it was about the sweetest stuff I've ever turned. Finish is Antique oil. Sorry about the fuzzy photos, I think I need to invest in a decent camera.

Attachments

• cherry hf 1.jpg
    cherry hf 1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 103
  • cherry hf 2.jpg
    cherry hf 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Dang, that's gorgeous, Barry. :thumb: I love the figure in the wood, and the contrast with the collar looks good now, and should continue to look good as the cherry darkens.

Barry,

Fuzzy or not, that is just beautiful! Like Vaughn, I love the figure, too. Ya done good! Look forward to the following presentations.

Those HF just :huh: me. As I have a fan behind me blowing dust away from me, when I have tried this type of turning, the wood hits the fan!!!!:rofl::rofl: Very nice and am envious of all of you with this specific talent.

second piece

This was made from a Eucalyptus of some sort. The bark was very thick and rough like some pines are. I tried to retain the full layer of bark in this piece, cause it was very unique looking, but it was just too crumbly; so I gave it a haircut. Dia is about 9" at the widest. Finished with laquer (I think, :eek:I've lost track of all the different stuff I've been using in my quest for the holy graille of finishes)

Attachments

• euc ne 1.jpg
    euc ne 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 37
Number 3

Okay, how bout this, then. Silver maple, the finial is desert ironwood, about 6" dia. Antique oil finish. Cheers

Attachments

• silver maple hf.jpg
    silver maple hf.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 37
Finally took the time to photo what i've made recently. Rather that shotgun them all in one post, I'll show them one at at a time over the next few days (to prolong your pleasure:rolleyes:) First up is a cherry HF made from a chunk that Larry M gave me, thanks again Larry!:thumb: About 10" dia with a desert ironwood collar. I've never turned green cherry before, it was about the sweetest stuff I've ever turned. Finish is Antique oil. Sorry about the fuzzy photos, I think I need to invest in a decent camera.

This is probably an idiot question, but you know what we say about dumb questions.....

When you do your collar, which looks great by the way, do you add it after the turning is completed, or do you glue it on the blank before starting the hollowing.. :dunno:

I make them separatly and attach them afterward. But that just seemed to me to be the easiest way, I'm self taught. others might have a better way. I put a coat of finish (or at least sanding sealer) on both pieces, except the glue surfaces, then glue; makes the squeeze-out easy to clean up.

Wow Barry. I did not see this thread till all three were out in the limelight.

Boy it just kept getting better and better. I like all of them. Very hard to select an individual one when you like wood. Each has their own character. I am partial to the bowl with the bark on the edge though.:thumb:

Great work, Barry. I'm pretty certain the natural edge bowl is red ironbark eucalyptus. I like the bullnose edge on the bark. The maple on it nice, too.

Chuck, I also turn my collars separately, but there have been some that I made final tweaks to after gluing them on the piece.

Today's offering is a Mesquite vessel turned endgrain from a scrap, It's 8"tall and 6"wide. I turned it from green to finshed over a few days with no other treatment. The wood will turn a nice reddish collor over time. The Ci1 clone I made worked great for the inside; it really cuts well on endgrain.

Attachments

• mesquite vase2.jpg
    mesquite vase2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 19
  • mesquite vase 1.jpg
    mesquite vase 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 20