Found an even more expensive habit...

Ned Bulken

than woodworking...

Photography. LOL

just for fun I googled to see if there is a digital back available for my medium format camera... there is... for $7199 street price...

oh, add in the adapter for it and it's over $8000. :eek:

however it is a 22 Megapixel back, takes both RAW and JPG formats simultaneously and comes with native software to process the imagery.

Obviously, not a hobby purchase, that would be an investment for when I throw my hat back in the ring as a pro portrait photographer.

Something I'm always keeping in the back of my mind.

LOL, talk to Neal Addy about the photography vortex. He got pulled in pretty hard in the last year or so. :D

Expensive - and I bet the chip STILL isn't 60x60 millimeters.

It's probably 35 full frame, 24x36mm.

Dagnabbit, I want a digital back for my medium format with a 60x60 chip in it!

Yeah, I know, I know - I can have one, for only $345,000. :eek:

I'll stick to running Kodachrome & Velvia through the M.F. - and then slapping the slides on the scanner.

The raw scans are ONLY 200 Megabyte .Tiff's. :wave::D:thumb:

-Kevin in Indy

I've been feeling the pull of photography lately, but nothing approaching that level...

Heck, I'd be happy with something like a little ole D300 (1600$)....

But like most things, somehow I don't think the expensive camera will replace a lack of talent. So I'm plugging away with my cheap ole cameras working on things like composition, lighting, and aperature settings...

I earned my living for many years with a camera and typewriter.
Still miss the photography very much. My amateur work doesn't fill the gap. As a professional, you have opportunities and access the snap-shooter can only dream about. e.g. wife complaining "Your taking too much time, hurry up, let's get going." :rolleyes:
Still, those 'accessories' are a bit pricey.
Another factor, a very high percentage of professional photographers (wedding, studio, etc.) go out of business. Very difficult to maintain the needed cash flows.

I used to be addicted. I still have the enlarger and dark room equipment and boxes of everything from original box cameras to large format stuff. Ned, I f you haven't seen them yet, look up Louis Carrol's child portraits. This is the guy who wrote Alice in Wonderland and Symbolic logic. His child portraits are some of the best I've ever seen. Our local library had a book about his photography were I saw these portraits.

One of these days I need to get a slide/digital copier so I can put thousands of slides into digital format. I don't think I've viewed any slides in years.

I used to be addicted. I still have the enlarger and dark room equipment and boxes of everything from original box cameras to large format stuff. Ned, I f you haven't seen them yet, look up Louis Carrol's child portraits. This is the guy who wrote Alice in Wonderland and Symbolic logic. His child portraits are some of the best I've ever seen. Our local library had a book about his photography were I saw these portraits.

One of these days I need to get a slide/digital copier so I can put thousands of slides into digital format. I don't think I've viewed any slides in years.
I've thousands of slides - been thinking about getting them on to CD's, but the services are expensive. When you start looking into digitizers I hope you'll share your research findings here. From what I've seen you need to spend a minimum of $500 to get good quality, but I really have not looked too deeply...yet.

One thought, once you finished your slides, then what? I guess you could go into the purchase knowing that you'll sell it as soon as you're done and recoup some of the purchase price.:huh:

I've thousands of slides - been thinking about getting them on to CD's, but the services are expensive. When you start looking into digitizers I hope you'll share your research findings here. From what I've seen you need to spend a minimum of $500 to get good quality, but I really have not looked too deeply...yet.

One thought, once you finished your slides, then what? I guess you could go into the purchase knowing that you'll sell it as soon as you're done and recoup some of the purchase price.:huh:

You are right, expensive to get started in.
I also have thousands, going back to the late 1950's. Plus many my father took. Valuable family history pictures.
Bit problem is that most of the cardboard mounts have come open. Simply scanning is not possible. All would have to be remounted first.
Full time, it would probably take me years to repair and scan all mine.