Cherry dining table

This is the table we swapped for a professional portrait of our Cavaliers. 40x78, simple tapered legs, bead detail on the apron. 'Spline' on the ends to cover up where I cut into three biscuits (after gluing half of the top upside down). :doh:

First project out of the new shop. :wave:

weertbl3.JPG

weerstbl4.JPG

weerstbl5.JPG

well done kirk:thumb: did i miss somethin here i dont recall you showing us the final shop with the tools in it after you got it done,,,,, pics please:)

Last edited:
:doh:

table looks perfect, although cutting into the biscuits, I thought only I do things like forget where to place them properly.
nice recovery.
(can you explain how you cut that stopped dado for the spline please. hand held router, on a table?)

hey mark K, if you notice this thread, Mr.Constable held the tabletop on with wooden buttons he made(he even rounded over the edges on them).
It looks like he used the biscuit cutter or maybe a slotted router bit, since I dont see one complete slot running the length of the apron, which you can do if you dont have a biscuit cutter or slotted bit.

Last edited:
I like the spline Kirk. It adds something to the look of the table. Sort of like a reverse breadboard edge.

See Allen its not a mistake if you can fix it or work it into the design.

:doh:

table looks perfect, although cutting into the biscuits, I thought only I do things like forget where to place them properly.
nice recovery.
(can you explain how you cut that stopped dado for the spline please. hand held router, on a table?)

hey mark K, if you notice this thread, Mr.Constable held the tabletop on with wooden buttons he made(he even rounded over the edges on them).
It looks like he used the biscuit cutter or maybe a slotted router bit, since I dont see one complete slot running the length of the apron, which you can do if you dont have a biscuit cutter or slotted bit.

Actually, I didn't misplace the bicuits (although I HAVE done it in the past!)... the problem was when I got one half of the top upside down in the final glue-up. All the biscuits were 'registered' from the end I knew I was gonna make the first straight cut on... :mad:

I used a slot cutter to make the 'spline' cut. Clamped a stop block at each end and made several passes until I got the depth 'right'... which really means until I managed to make the entire cut without 'bouncing' the router. Then I cut the piece of the 'spline' and snuck up on the thickness with the drum sander. Cleaned it up with a flush trim bit after the glue dried.

And yes, I used the bicuit cutter for the hold-down slots. I didn't even think about the slot cutter. That probably woulda been more better. :doh:

Your work is superb, and your furniture is fresh and clean looking, something I strive for, but havent reached yet.(probably never will, but it is a hobby)

Thankyou for posting this piece of work.