Power carving chuck stand

John, I saved this thread on SMC and for those of you that don't have access...the pics are below along with the Bosch version. Bob Howllowell is the person that made it. I have a couple of bolts to make it, just haven't had the time to do it.

Attachments

• vise.jpg
    vise.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 55
  • vise2.jpg
    vise2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 52
  • vise3.jpg
    vise3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 53
  • bosch-carving-stand_l.jpg
    bosch-carving-stand_l.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 53
John,

What size bolts will you need? Looks like maybe a 4" and an 8" (to get the long enough unthreaded shank). does Woodcraft have those lock screw levers?

Maybe we can work together and make more than one of these.

ALoha, Tony

Last edited:
Carving stand

:) Apparently I have a Jet 1220 and it uses a 1"X8TPI at the head stock so I need a 1"x8TPI bolt to accept my chucks.. Unfortunately my tool rest uses a 5/8" post. I will either turn the cut off piece of the bolt and turn it down to 5/8" to fit the tool rest. Drill and tap the top portion and use a ratcheting handle to lock the pieces at various angles. Seems simple enough till you get down to fabricating it. I've seen the bolts at Home Depot and I have bought the handles at Woodcraft. The one on my lathe stripped. :huh:

Last edited:
John, you could also just make it our of 1X8 tpi bolt so your chuck and faceplates fit it and then make a mount somehow to use in a bench vise. My tool rest has a 1" post, but I plan on making something to use in a vise as well so I could have a piece on the lathe and also on the carving stand.

The pics below are a few I found on the web and show a few other ideas...I like the one with the bowling ball clamped between PVC cutoffs as you can swivel it around anywhere you need it.

Attachments

• bb jig.jpg
    bb jig.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 34
  • carve jig.jpg
    carve jig.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Jeff, just what I needed, more ideas to fill my feeble little brain. :rofl:

Is that a bowling ball clamped in the "holding bench"? :eek: (sorry, don't know what it is really called) Unique, for sure. :thumb:

I'll be in touch John. :wave:

Aloha, Tony