drill press table question

My drill press table rotates side to side for angled drilling. Many times I wish it angled front-back instead, in order to put down a bunch of angled hols while sliding the workpiece along the fence, for example. Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do?

I've not done it myself, but I recall seeing pics somewhere of a table someone made to do that. It's essentially a table on a table, attached at the front edge with a hinge.

For a single one-off project, I think I'd just cut (or otherwise mill) a wedge-shaped piece of wood to place the workpiece on while drilling. Personally, I think the fancy drill press table I saw was the end project, instead of the means to an end.

Gary Rogowski's piano hinge and block version here or below. Unlike Gary, I would clamp that piece.

Attachments

• DP angle copy.jpg
    DP angle copy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 77
Nah, you don't really need a clamp when using a Forstner bit. :rolleyes:

Drill Press Glove 2 800.jpg

Just lots of gauze and antiseptic ointment. :rofl:

Gary Rogowski's piano hinge and block version here or below. Unlike Gary, I would clamp that piece.

This is a great jig for doing just as you ask, (we made one for our school shop.) But if in a hurry and need one breifly. You can turn the table 90 degrees and then tilt it to your desired angle. clamp on a scrap of plywood to extend the table back in front of the drill. (good for a quick shot when you only need one or two times. But when your Round-2-it gets back , make one of these jigs. :thumb:

I've got to get my 2-its in order as well... :eek:

Several years ago I made the angle table pictured below. I have not used it for years as it does not fit my current drill press table. It was simple to make & worked very well.

100_0917.jpg

100_0918.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas! I just happen to have a few piano hinges laying around from a store change-of-ownership clearance sale.

Tod, that sine bar looks really neat! I'll be able to do trig and woodworking all at once! (No, I'm being sarcastic - I was and still am a math geek.) :thumb:

Nah, you don't really need a clamp when using a Forstner bit. :rolleyes:

View attachment 33215

Just lots of gauze and antiseptic ointment. :rofl:

NEVER EVER use Gloves with power tools and rotating sharp objects. My old Professors and Mentors would spin in their graves if I even thought about such deeds, Sorry it happened to you but at least you learned a good lesson. Forget those gloves, Woodworkers hands are suppose to look like Gorilla Paws...

No Long hair, no loose hanging sleeves, no hanging jewelery, no rings, etc. All are basic safety rules for power tools. I think the people who sell "WWing" gloves ought to be horse whipped. and hungup in a power tool flapping in the wind. Dangerous, I don't care what they say.

Sorry for stealing the thread and I'll get off my Soap Box and shut up.....

Last edited:
Chris, your table looks simple and functional without going overboard. The one I saw pics of a few years ago had everything but the kitchen sink. Looked like a fun shop project but more than the average drill press needs.

NEVER EVER use Gloves with power tools and rotating sharp objects. My old Professors and Mentors would spin in their graves if I even thought about such deeds, Sorry it happened to you but at least you learned a good lesson. Forget those gloves, Woodworkers hands are suppose to look like Gorilla Paws...

That's the main reason the glove is in the picture. To show how stupid it was. ;)

Thanks Todd .....again. :thumb: I used to enjoy maths at school but it could have been made all the more interesting if the teacher had the ability to put the math to use and show application rather than just "this is the rule, learn it" approach.:)