Need help with my 10" wheel

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I have a Delta wet/dry grinder that I purchased reconditioned some years ago for under $100.
del_23700.gif
The wheel was out of round from day one and, after several failed attempts to remedy this, I placed it all on a back shelf and forgot about it. I just pulled it out for another look. I have found a replacement wheel here for $45. Not a bad price. However, I was wondering, is there such a place as a service that will true up the wheel for me? What kind of business should I be looking for? As for doing it myself, it's really bad and probably worse because of my prior attempts. Best I should leave this to someone who knows what they are doing.:rofl:

Any machine shop in the area should be able to handle that. If were close by I'd do it for you. You also can pick up a diamond dress fairly cheap and dress it yourself. It isn't to difficult especially with a slow rpm machine like that. I have one just like it and use a Norbide Stick for dressing, but that is something I've had for about 35 years and use often as a Tool & Die Maker. That's about a $60 item these days.:eek: Another possibility is a near by Community College that offers Machining courses might do it for you. Good Luck:thumb:

Roger

Last edited:
Rennie, I think the real question is: do you really want to bother with that thing at all?
I have had one of those for quite a few years and it has proven to be practically useless. It saw very little use for most of those years. Then, one day, I found the big wheel to be cracked. As you said, they are expensive to replace.
I haven't shoved mine into a dark forgotten corner yet but also haven't been motivated to pop for the money either.
Instead, you might want to consider spending yer money on a Wolverine jig and/or a Delta slow grinder.

Rennie, I think the real question is: do you really want to bother with that thing at all?
I have had one of those for quite a few years and it has proven to be practically useless. It saw very little use for most of those years. Then, one day, I found the big wheel to be cracked. As you said, they are expensive to replace.
I haven't shoved mine into a dark forgotten corner yet but also haven't been motivated to pop for the money either.
Instead, you might want to consider spending yer money on a Wolverine jig and/or a Delta slow grinder.
you make a good point - might be a candidate for Craig's list.:huh:

rennie,

Send it on over. I'll make good use of it (after I get it corrected) :rolleyes:

Really,,,No, really. :rofl:

I should be able to true up the wheel. I've done it on regular grinder wheels.

Thanks for the link to the wheel source.

Hey Frank, just what is it about that slow/wet grinder that you don't like? (aside from the cracked wheel) I might like to build one similar to the ones offered. I'd make changes in design if I knew what were undesirable features/designs/functions.

Opinions and experiences are really welcomed.

Aloha, Tony

rennie,

Hey Frank, just what is it about that slow/wet grinder that you don't like? (aside from the cracked wheel) I might like to build one similar to the ones offered. I'd make changes in design if I knew what were undesirable features/designs/functions.

Aloha, Tony

OK - you're on! PM me with your mailing address and I'll try to get it out next week.

rennie,

Aloha, Tony

Timing is interesting. I have to mount something on my all-purpose grinder/sharpening table today and the slow/wet monster goes. Into a dark corner never to be seen again.
What I don't like: it doesn't sharpen. Difficult, bordering on impossible, to hold a correct angle for whatever it is you may be TRYING to sharpen. Slow/wet wheel is simply too fine a grit to do much more than polish an already sharpened edge. Found is barely OK for flat chisels to keep sharp. Cleaning the water tub is a real pain in the bizinkess too. About a year ago, after a period of no use and with a dry wheel, I found the big wheel cracked. Just did it all by itself. I am not motivated to spend the money on a new wheel since I don't like using it in the first place. Collecting dust is best use for this bow-wow by a long shot.

now you see it....and now you don't

As I said, the big, wuthluss, wet and slow wheel (not)sharpener has been relegated to the dust bin.

Attachments

• slow grinder.jpg
    slow grinder.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 20
  • new grinder.jpg
    new grinder.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 19