tabletop lathe, and a couple of questions

Allen, we all need to start somewhere, and just think how you've expanded you're woodworking abilities. 88 dollars was money well spent heck that's less then youd spend on 3 lessons.
Like I said before, welcome to the abyss.
Maybe when your ready to move up to something else, you can sell this one to Larry..:D

No under-the-bus-throwing from me. I think you're taking a very sensible approach, given the circumstances. A cheap lathe and cheap chisels should still be enough to give you a feel for things. 88 bucks isn't gonna make the difference between eating and not eating. :D If you haven't already, do invest in a face shield. It's a very important part of the kit. ;)

When you guys decide to take the plunge into a more expensive machine, I suggest you save up and get as large a lathe that you can get. I got the Jet 1014 VS, and after my second bowl, The Bride is asking for bigger bowls

No under-the-bus-throwing from me. I think you're taking a very sensible approach, given the circumstances. A cheap lathe and cheap chisels should still be enough to give you a feel for things. 88 bucks isn't gonna make the difference between eating and not eating. :D If you haven't already, do invest in a face shield. It's a very important part of the kit. ;)
I have a face shield, but its one of those that you can pop the plastic out in front easily. I use it when Im routing or cutting nasty stuff like ipe.
Can one of you recommend a shield I can order or pick up that will not limit the field of view and is a bit more robust?

I have a face shield, but its one of those that you can pop the plastic out in front easily. I use it when Im routing or cutting nasty stuff like ipe.
Can one of you recommend a shield I can order or pick up that will not limit the field of view and is a bit more robust?

A lot of us have something like this, which might be the same as the one you have now:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=74556-429-90028-80025&lpage=none

There's also this one I've seen at Lee Valley. It's better, but a bit pricier:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=56669&cat=1,42207