acorn ornaments in june

I bought a bunch of small turning blanks from a guy a couple weeks ago. They range in size from pen blank size to about 4x4x36. I got the lot for 20 bucks. All different kinds of wood were included, apple, osage, walnut, maple, oak, cherry, a lot of I don’t know also. I didn’t have a clue what I was going to do with it but I couldn’t pass it up.

I ‘ve seen the birdhouse ornaments on here and other places several times and thought I’d try to make a few using this wood. I have a supernova 2 chuck for my lathe but I only have the 50mm jaws that came with it. I made a trip to woodcraft the other day with the intentions of getting a set of 25mm jaws. While I was there I was talking to one of the guys who turns a lot. I asked about the ornaments and such and he pointed me toward the pin jaws. I’m glad he did. They really work well and do exactly what I need. He also showed me several he had made and sketched how he made them. Here’s a few pics or what I’ve been up to. Man these little things are addictive to make.

Attachments

• wood blanks (1) (Medium).jpg
    wood blanks (1) (Medium).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 46
  • wood blanks (Medium).jpg
    wood blanks (Medium).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
  • birdhouse (1) (Medium).jpg
    birdhouse (1) (Medium).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 46
  • birdhouse (2) (Medium).jpg
    birdhouse (2) (Medium).jpg