need some spinach

Since using a non-powered handplane with a shooting board is generally not too loud, I went out and trued the ends of the tabletop of my walnut desk that is in progress last night. Anyhow, shooting through 16" of something like 7/8" thickness requires a certain bit of oomph. Now I know why hand tool users tend to be much more fit and in shape than lazy power tool users. I think my shooting arm put on a quarter inch of muscle mass after least night! :rofl:

Mark, I use my shooting board for squaring of the ends of small "stuff" like stiles, rails, aprons, small drawer parts, etc., not something as wide of 16". That must have taken a really sharp blade and a great technique, making sure you were only trying to take a smigen amount of wood at a time. You are a better man than me! I will stick with the small stuff.

Oh, wow, lol. I just figured that shooting the ends would be the best way to true them up. Here's a pic right after I finished.

View attachment 33313

With this task, my left hand got quite the workout also, keeping the tabletop flat against the shooting board with all the levered weight hanging off the other side.

My LN #62 did a decent job. This was my first project use of the shooting board - guess I was either too ignorant to screw it up thinking it was on the large side or had beginner's luck. Maybe both.

It was kind of interesting sliding the tabletop over just a little for more shooting. :eek: :doh: :rofl: