Finishing off the Shop Addition

Rich Aldrich

A few years ago, I added a 20 x 24 cold storage addition to my 20 x 28 shop. Once I sell the old boat, 1966 Thompson deep V with a 40 HP, I will be able to begin finishing the area.

My main reason for adding this space is area for assembly. My shop is small for assembling cabinets, especially when more than one is in progress.

The electrical is done, except for a couple of 220 circuits that will have to be relocated when I relocate the cyclone and tablesaw.

I am in no hurry. I plan to get the stud walls and ceiling insulated before winter. If it is totally done by Spring, I will be happy. Building material prices are definitely in our favor right now. I heat with an outdoor wood boiler, but I dont think this will add that much load.

I am thinking about tongue and groove pine or shiplap for finishing the walls. The ceiling will definitely be drywall. The walls and ceiling of the old portion are drywall. However, the price of drywall is quite attractive. I just hate finishing drywall.

Would it cost that much if you hang the sheet-rock & have someone come in & tape it & texture or even have them hang & tape & texture it. Being able to use it that much sooner may be well worth the money.
I don't know if I would ever texture a wall in a shop. Dust magnet!!:eek:

i wouldnt run drywall in any of it,, yu bump it yu got hole use osb and hang any thing anywhere and paint it white.. and we know yu got a supplier not far away:)

Would it cost that much if you hang the sheet-rock & have someone come in & tape it & texture or even have them hang & tape & texture it. Being able to use it that much sooner may be well worth the money.

I know a few people who might be hungry for business by the time I am ready. They might be willing to deal a little.

sorry larry! i'm siding with the drywall gang. :thumb: even if you do nothing with it, you've got a space to run the numbers, or make a quick sketch, without worrying about ruining a paint job. :D

i wouldnt run drywall in any of it,, yu bump it yu got hole use osb and hang any thing anywhere and paint it white.. and we know yu got a supplier not far away:)

I thought about OSB also. I heard the LP plant in Sagola is shutting down for a few weeks because the price is so low and the supply is up.

I have drywall in the shop and the ceiling is the place it really can take a beating. Maybe OSB on the ceiling also.

We also have a decent supplier for tongue and groove pine. I need to check their prices also.