steps

wow now yur off the hook tod:) i was gonna jump on yu for not showing the end but you were still sending them i quess! went to answer a pm and they were here.. looks as good in the pics as it did in real life.. what about the table,,yu or them finish it?

Last edited:
OOOOOHHHHH, AAAAHHHHH,,,,I wish my stairs were even 10% as good as those.:thumb: You sure know what you are doing Todd. What great work.:)

Ok you opened this door ......now I have given you the praise .....let me know the secret to fixing these junkie production stairs i have with veneered plywood. They creak like cazy to the extent that my wife wakes up every time the 21 year old comes home late at night. The wedges they used are about as big as my index finger. Is there any cure other than starting over? Also I feel this is the impossible but is there any way a fix can be applied from the tread side.

I now feel i am imitating one of those people that used to come to a TV repair shop where i worked when i was a youngster and they would say, "I spilt water over the back of my tv when I changed the flower vase, the I switched it on and saw sparks....BUT IT WONT BE A BIG JOB WILL IT?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for posting how stairs should be made but then again i guess we would not be able to afford them.;)

Well Tod, I know that you're a man scarce on words, but now I see that you are generous in pics!

You just left me speechless, I like the detail of the portruding pegs.:thumb:

Tod, do you glue the treads & risers to the stringers at all, or just use the wedges to secure everything? And how about the treads to risers, just the screws or are you also gluing?

larry,
they had the painter finish the island.
stu,
thanks!
jeff,
6-7 weeks of actual work. thanks!
rob,
ya` really need to get to the back side to fix squeeks. thanks!
toni,tom, frank and jim
thanks!
bill,
the treads-n-risers are glued with construction adhesive (p.l. premium) to the strings same with the wedges only the wedges have a 2-1/2" nail holding `em `till the glue sets. treads-n-risers are glued together in the dado at the nose and the butt joint (supplimented with screws) with plain ol` yellow glue.

I have some questions Tod if I may.

The wedges under the steps are for setting them and avoid squeaking?

Is this the "standard" procedure to make wood steps?

Is each step glued or fixed to next one?

toni,
wedges have been used in quality stair construction for centuries.they not only help eliminate squeeks but will force a wayward board into plane.
yes, each step is glued to the next and to the stringers also.
here`s a few more assembly pics. including my use of a block-n-tackle to rack 6-800#`s of oak into square, and a crowbar for "minor technical adjustments":eek:
stairs and ian 011.jpg

stairs and ian 012.jpg

stairs and ian 014.jpg

stairs and ian 016.jpg

stairs and ian 018.jpg

stairs and ian 021.jpg

stairs and ian 026.jpg

stairs and ian 032.jpg

stairs and ian 031.jpg

stairs and ian 025.jpg